Sandy Gorge, Sandy River, Oregon

Post all your CBoat and OCBoat related videos here!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

milkman
C Maven

Sandy Gorge, Sandy River, Oregon

Post by milkman »

3 canoeists (two in Preludes, one in a Zoom) and one C1er paddle the Sandy Gorge at around 600 cfs with some kayaking friends. This is a cold water section of the Sandy fed by snowmelt from Mt. Hood. http://youtu.be/99iHSaWemzA
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Re: Sandy Gorge, Sandy River, Oregon

Post by valhallalongboats »

Pretty water. Who's the guy in the blue boat? I like his style.
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

That's Chad, a former Esquif rep for the NW. Definitely one of the area's top canoeists. He paints the water with a lot of excellent paddle strokes. Myself and others have learned a lot from him. And still can't paddle like that.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Not the first time I've seen people, myself included, say "who's that guy in the purple boat?". There's something nice about the way he gets around. One day I'll have the time to jump in with Heather, Einar and others and come paddle with your crew Milkman.

begs the question... does Chad give lessons? Eli or others don't get out here often enough. It would be nice to have some regional inspiration. As you've seen, us BC Boaters could really use some good instruction!

Pat.

p.s. Don't forget to send us some OR representation to the Tamihi Five-0 slalom race in 2 weeks!
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I did put in an announcement about the slalom in our newsletter, so hopefully some folks will head up there.

Chad has taught classes and was an ACA-certified instructor for whitewater canoeing (Kent Ford was his certifier). He's let his certification lapse. I'm usually his assistant instructor. He's pretty busy these days with family, so it's hard to get him out though. But I think you know all about that, Pat. Still it would be fun to go up there sometime and exchange tips.