Boat of the Week - Esquif Zoom

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Boat of the Week - Esquif Zoom

Post by Sir Adam »

I let the Boat of the Week take a break for ALF and the holidays - it is BACK!

This week (or 10 days..)... the Esquif Zoom ... known as the "wooz" to some, beloved by others... I'm SURE folks have opinions and stories about this boat, so post them up!

https://www.cboats.net/c_db/list.php?ty ... &name=Zoom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep the C!
Adam
hankrankin
C Guru

Re: Boat of the Week - Esquif Zoom

Post by hankrankin »

whats up with the "active pry system"?! ya know those silly dimples in the tumblehome...
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I'd like to hear about the dimples too ...
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Fun boat (particularly since it was someone else's and I just borrowed)! Twitchy to a degree but that is part of why its so fun. Got WOOZed many a time and it makes you a better boater.

I'd like to hear about the dimples too since I banged my knuckle more than used those! Kayakers always asked about them too. :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
jchasse
Esquif - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by jchasse »

The APS was introduced to provide a better control, allowing paddler to use correction stroke closer to the center of the boat.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

If I recall correctly one local paddler here got a Zoom specifically for the "dimples" ( or APS using the official term), in that being short in stature vs. a lot of male paddlers, and with shorter arms, found many boats a bit wide. Being able to get her lower hand that much closer in was much more comfortable, and provided a more powerful position for some strokes (pry, etc...).
Keep the C!
Adam
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

It seems to me it was the Zoom that really started the sub-10-foot canoe revolution by bringing excellent acceleration and responsiveness to this category. When it was introduced, it was a radical design that garnered lots of attention and revived interest in boats like the Prelude, the Phantom, and later the Maxim (though I mostly credit Richard for reviving interest in that canoe). It certainly wasn't the first sub-10er, but it definitely wrote a new page in canoe design, helping pave the way to boats like the Solito, L'edge, Option, Ion, and Octane. It was also a canoe designed unapologetically for the experienced paddler and not trying to be all things to all people. To the Zoom's credit, it's still a radical, relevant design, and a classic in much the same way as the Ocoee.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

One of my favorite Zoom pictures... Vincent Dupont
http://www.canoekayak.com/canoe/hot-spo ... oe-talent/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a little Zoom footy in this from Quebec... http://youtu.be/FmJVxymV1_c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Of all the boats I've sold, I miss my Zoom the most. It taught me to never let my guard down. Louie told me about his early Zoom that has a round dimple instead of the standard tear drop dimple. I think he called it 'the cereal bowl'. To quote Louie once more, he said the Zoom was the only boat you could run a class 5 drop in then swim out of in the eddy below. Something like that... My paddling partners quickly learned to never touch my canoe when we were sitting in an eddy as while they were sitting and relaxing, as I was actively trying to keep the boat upright. I think everyone should spend some time in a Zoom so that they have a baseline understanding of what lack of initial stability and excellent secondary stability actually means. It was a practical joke just waiting to happen- every kayaker I put in it would swim within about ten feet from shore. Man I loved that boat...
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Zoom's initial instability is evident when going slow, but not when paddling with speed. The harder thing I find about paddling the boat is that it also looses it's spin when going fast.

I'm told my paddle goes naturally into the dimple when ruddering without me actually noticing. The dimple allows the paddle to be more vertical and thus effective.

The Zoom is the dryest whitewater canoe that I've paddled which have all been ABS.
Attachments
Zoom_sq.jpg
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

Here#s also some footage from the Zoom...
http://vimeo.com/15197013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flo
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hatman255

Post by hatman255 »

I really like my Zoom. I'm smaller (130 lbs) so the light weight is a factor for me. It's pretty fast for a small boat. It fits into tight little spots. It can be made to ride over waves rather than dig into them, making for the dry ride a lot of people notice. I find it surfs nicely. The roll is almost effortless. I hardly notice the initial instability anymore. It has flipped me in the past for not paying enough attention, but just rolled back up and learned from the mistake; always keep it on a carve and it handles stuff effectively. I don't consciously use the dimples, but tend to find myself using them when prying, which to me seems like the mark of good design.
When I first started paddling one I found the easy roll combined with the maneuverability gave me the freedom and confidence to push more technical or difficult lines which I might have not attempted before for fear of missing the move, or of not getting a roll should I flip.