wenonah rogue vs OT appalachian

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jefffski

wenonah rogue vs OT appalachian

Post by jefffski »

Hi,

I am looking for an opinion about ww canoes.

My partner and I are looking for a ww canoe that can handle flat water but is built to get into those eddies on class III water and can carry a load for a multi-day trip.

Right now, we've kinda narrowed it down to two boats: A wenonnah rogue and an old town appalachian.

Although they are different, i'm sure they are both fun in ww. I really wonder how they paddle empty on flat water--we do enjoy going out for an afternoon paddle.

Thanks,
RobG4
C Boater

Re: wenonah rogue vs OT appalachian

Post by RobG4 »

OT Appalachian here, and I love it. Never paddled a rogue.

It's an excellent big tandem for the WW you're talking about. I've never felt it to be too slow on flatwater, but then the only flat water I have taken it on is the pools between the drops. I've never used it on a lake/pond/swamp etc.

I think the Rogue has more rocker.

The Appy handles great, I have friends with much more WW experienced than I rave about it when we take it out.

My thought is that it is a Class I-III WW oriented boat that will get you through the slow stuff and carry plenty of gear if you want it. It's my only tandem and I am happy with it, but will one day add a pure flatwater tandem to complement it.