Sort of New NC Paddler

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bkebs
Pain Boater

Sort of New NC Paddler

Post by bkebs »

Quick background: I have been paddling since I was about 6. My Dad bought a Wenonah Echo in 1984 and started taking me out every weekend on the Little Miami River in Ohio.

I have paddled quite a bit of flat water and mello streams primarily in Wenonah canoes. I have never really needed anything with more than an inch of rocker until the last few years when I developed a taste for WW after moving to North Carolina near Winston-Salem.

Last summer I bought an old Dagger RPM and started learning the basics of rolls and braces... I dislocated my shoulder paddling towards the end of summer. This on top of a partial rotator cuff tear sidelined me for the fall season. I do not find a kayak paddle comfortable any more. I did paddle an old glass C1 a few times and enjoyed it. However, it had only a small foam saddle. With no skirt, it was limited to subdued paddling. I also paddled an outfitted 15 foot Whitesell. It is way too much canoe for what I am looking to do.

What I am looking for is a solid class 3 boat. Most of my paddling will be class1 and 2 with the occasional 3 thrown in. I often paddle up stream to a nice class 1 wave train to play and surf. I need to do this on the cheap. I have paddles and vests, helmets... all the usual stuff. I need a boat. I have thought about trying to convert the rpm or another old school yak. I would rather go with an open boat though.

So, please advise on boats to look for, places to look. I could sell the rpm to help finance, but want to stay as cheap as possible.

Here is one rapid I plan on paddling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FKhvcAbHOU
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Welcome to the club!
There are lots of good boats in the 12-13 foot range. Something stable like a Esquif Vertige, Mohawk XL-13 or Mohawk Probe-13 (formerly Probe 12, but NOT Probe 12-II) will get you through the occasional III/III+ just fine, but also be easier to paddle on flat-ish water. The XL-13 and Probe 13 (12) will probably be easier to find used for a good price.

Hope this helps!
Shep
bkebs
Pain Boater

Mohawk

Post by bkebs »

I was thinking about the xl13. But, a conversion looks like fun for some reason.
creek1r
Pain Boater

from Martinsville, VA

Post by creek1r »

sent PM
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

If you are looking into C1's, there is a guy in TN selling a Cascade in the other section. That is a pretty confidence-inspiring ride as well.

Shep
bkebs
Pain Boater

Post by bkebs »

Just wanted to give a big thanks to creek1r. I went out to see him today and bought his Outrage. It was fun talking to someone who has so much experience. We talked boats, rivers, paddles and cars before I had to head out.

I can't wait to get on the water!