K1 to C1 Conversion

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dwinchester
Pain Boater

K1 to C1 Conversion

Post by dwinchester »

Hi all,
I'm an open boater looking to try C1. Since I live in the midwest where C1s seem to be in short supply, I'm thinking of converting a used kayak. Any suggestions on what to look for in a k1 hull? I want a boat primarily for class II-III river running that I can learn to roll in. Thanks
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

C-1 conversions

Post by Mikey B »

Where in the Midwest might ye be? There's a few C-boaters in the Midwest :) Don't rule out a true C-1 if you find one you like...might be able to arrange transport from other boaters.
Mikey
dwinchester
Pain Boater

Post by dwinchester »

I live in central Illinois.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Usually (not always) if it makes a good K it makes a good C. Check out availability in the hood then post the options and others can assist with feedback. Things to take into account...
o this is your first one so it doesn't have to be the latest or greatest.
o your weight and overall size - for the cockpit and usability
o if you like it you'll be looking for something else asap
o there are also a number of folks who might have an outfitted C that they will sell on the cheap to help you get started.
o once you have the boat check out the search option for outfitting and tips.
o C if you can meet up with someone to borrow / demo a boat.
Good luck and have fun! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
dwinchester
Pain Boater

A couple options

Post by dwinchester »

So I've been looking around a little and found two local boats in my price range. One is older pyrahna acrobat 270 w/ kayak outfitting. The other is a wavesport EZ that's been converted to a C1. I'm about 5'9" 180lbs. Anybody have experience with these boats? Do you guys think either of these boats would work for me?
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

The Big EZ makes a good conversion. The EZ is a tad narrower, but looks like it would be fun. Since it's already converted is a plus, although you might have to tweak it a bit for yourself.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Try the EZ. If you've got steep waves to surf you'll probably like it a lot. The stern is real squirty too. At 180 you'll be able to throw it into a vertical stern squirt w/o using the paddle. I've got a Big EZ & the only thing I don't like about it is it's slow.
dwinchester
Pain Boater

Thanks guys

Post by dwinchester »

I'm going to go look at the EZ tomorrow. Pretty excited about it. Thanks for the info. -DW
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I've got a EZ as a C1, and it's an excellent learning platform. When I purchased it I talk to Jackson, the designer, and it was the best conversion (from WS) at the time.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;