Lower Salmon and Snake

Post all your CBoat and OCBoat related videos here!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

milkman
C Maven

Lower Salmon and Snake

Post by milkman »

This is a video of 4 tandem canoe teams (all in Dagger Dimensions), one solo canoe, and one raft on a self support trip down the lower Salmon River and 20 miles of the Snake. The run is from White Bird to Heller's Bar and goes through 3 states (Idaho, Oregon and Washington). Most of the video is the Salmon River where the most rapids are, but I include some scenery from the Snake. The Snake has some fun big water class 2's, but I didn't get any video of those as we were all making miles to get out early enough to drive back to Portland. The haze in the sky is from smoke from fires in Washington and Idaho. There is some carnage on Snow Hole the biggest rapid on the run.

See: https://youtu.be/_dxw8PBa5u8
Carol
C Guru

Re: Lower Salmon and Snake

Post by Carol »

Nice video!! thanks for sharing

We weren't able to any long term trips this year :cry: , instead this spring I treated myself to a commercial dory GC tripHubby hiked into Phantom to say hi as I floated by.

Carol
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Very pretty...would love to paddle that someday!
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Carol, you might not have paddled, but I'm sure the experience was "grand." The Grand Canyon is one of the few cases where I would say a guided rafting trip is worth it. Or, even better, a dory ride.

Mikey, a great advantage of this trip is that it is a self-issued permit. Just drive up to the launch point, fill out the form and launch. No lottery. No boat inspection (not that we weren't carrying all the usual required stuff).
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

'Twas a "Grand" experience, swam Lava- not by choice thou. Our trip was lucky with weather, and all the hot spots for hiking, etc we had to our selves. It was a great 60th B-day present to myself!!!

Love the Lower Salmon, we've done it twice (with raft support) once at @3500 cfs, 2nd time @ 7500 cfs - we'll be back

C

PS

So what do we do when "our" Dimensions die and pass on to the big river in the sky??
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Good question on what after Dimensions ... I'm just hoping with two in the garage, both in very good condition, I don't have to go there. One suggestion is picking up a Dagger Legend and using that for class 3 and below tripping instead of the Dimension. We've even run some class 4s in the Legend. Also I'm crossing my fingers for Esquif and T-Formex so there could be more Canyons. And the Moisie could be interesting in TuffStuff.