Lower Salmon trip

Post all your CBoat and OCBoat related videos here!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Carol
C Guru

Lower Salmon trip

Post by Carol »

Needless to say, Milkman got me motivated!

http://youtu.be/nz6zIVkEjB8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This summer's adventure was the Lower Salmon River with an interesting collection of craft. Whitebird was running about 3500 CFS, about half of the flow our previous trip. For the wooden dory, this was his first 3+ River and did fantastic! Only one collision with a no-name rock at surface level- no name riffle that will require repair as a wintertime project.

You will have to excuse my lily-dipping in the bow, but I was recovering from a pretty seriously sprained wrist.

So, the Lower Salmon at 3500 CFS. Well over all I would say the same level of difficulty at 7000 CFS. The line through Snow Hole was tighter, but still straightforward. I do think at this flow, the river was less crowded so we were able to get all the campsites that we wanted. We played hopscotch down the river with one commercial group, and one family reunion group, but definitely no competition. No yellowjacket problems this year either! From other reports from Mountain Buzz, there had been some serious issues at some of the camp sites. No wind either on the Snake, but I will say I felt that the commercial jet boat operators were less considerate regarding their wakes this year.
milkman
C Maven

Re: Lower Salmon trip

Post by milkman »

Thanks for the photo/video tour, Carol. I was on the Rogue this past weekend with some friends and we all decided to do this run (Snake + Lower Salmon) next year. I'm the only one who hasn't done it--I've always had other things on my plate when friends did the trip.
Carol
C Guru

Re: Lower Salmon trip

Post by Carol »

You'll love it! :D few side creeks for water, and commercial groups send out someone to snag campsites on the Snake - I've been told and agree.

If you find a Sunday Afternoon hat at Snow Hole, it's mine- lost it there this year

Only done the Rogue once, boarderline my comfort zone. Have injured myself too many times and not a strong bow paddler anymore :(