Old School OC footage and C1 footage - Grummans, etc.

Post all your CBoat and OCBoat related videos here!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

markzak
CBoats Addict

Old School OC footage and C1 footage - Grummans, etc.

Post by markzak »

http://vimeo.com/637075

Great videos from back in the day complimenting the "little history" thread.
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

Who's stylin in the OCA?
Anyone know?
You know what they say about guys with long boats.............. I have a 16 footer!
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Nice!
I finally got my dad to let me take the grandfathers aluminum boat out on whitwater.

gonna solo it, on the marathon run Lehigh, see how it handles.
Proud Yankee
the Big O
Pain Boater

Post by the Big O »

Pith helmet guy is Gettin er Done !
Have a great day, Ken
Sorcrow
c

Nice!

Post by Sorcrow »

I started on the Chattooga about a year after that. I paddled with the guy who drove the VW wagon that's in one scene. His theory, store your gear in the front and sleep in the back.

Crow

p.s. Good music, but needs more banjo!
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Guess that was a couple years after this write up...

Click on - Great Deliverance Writeup - from the guys
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    KNeal
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Thanks for sharing those links, Mark. The other videos are really awesome, too (Grand Canyon and N.F. Payette). Check those out! 8)
    C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
    dixie_boater
    C Guru

Paddler with pith helmet

Post by dixie_boater »

That's Miller Templeton! He was the leader for ORGT (Outdoors Recreation at Georgia Tech). A great person who led many students on paddling, hiking and spelunking trips. He introduced a lot of us to the Chattooga. His trademark was that helmet.

The first section of the video was a trip on the headwaters of the Chattooga before the USFS closed boating above the hwy 28 bridge in 1976. Someday we may get to paddle that again without being arrested! :(
    Beaverman
    c

Re: Old School OC footage and C1 footage - Grummans, etc.

Post by Beaverman »

Thought that i would mention that I was in that Old School ORGT vimeo and remember some names.

Mike Thompson was in one of the Aluminum canoes as was Clint Thompson in another

William Miller Templeton III was in the Blue hole with the foam block wearing his signiture pith helmet.
    Miller was the instigator/founder/leader/ director of the Outdoor Recreation at Georgia Tech for many many years, as well as being a Assistant Dean of Students, and nuclear engineer.

That was my first kayak, the Yellow/gold deck Lettman MkIV with the GT + #13 on the bow deck, with my EAE monogram on the back deck, black seams, white/cream hull, and my yellow type III VW shuttle car at 76 Bridge. Miller caught me running a few rapids on that trip as well as Jack Bukovsky in the Blue K1. I was a Textiles student at Tech for 7 years and a guide for Southeastern for 14 years if you count both full time and weekend warrier status, and mystery cameo safety boater and raft guide for a few more years.

Good old days. My first Open which I still have and use is a Mad River Endurall, and my first C1, a Perception Sage, first C2 - a Sedavic C2, all first time runs on the Chattooga Section IV at 1.7.