Pretty Cool Roll Video

Post all your CBoat and OCBoat related videos here!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Pretty Cool Roll Video

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Nice to see under water portion. I can't use my arms that way though. I have to put my head on the paddle and use my spine. When you get older the arms are more prone to injury if you do the roll as demonstrated. I am not as successful as I should be in current, but I think that has more to do with set up than how.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Yeap, pretty much of a no-set-up roll. The guy didn't even had a PFD so he was way down there; nice to see he could still go without a full set-up phase by using his arms more.

I end up doing something pretty similar when in a hurry to combat roll but my impinged shoulder also doesn't like it too much. That thing takes forever to heal after two years I begin to feel I may just have to live with it for good...
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
jrsh92
C Guru

Post by jrsh92 »

I can easily do this kind of a roll in my Gyramax-- in fact that's what I learned before I learned what you might call a "roll" with a setup, basically a low brace delayed so late that your boat's all the way upside down. It's not that solid feeling or reliable though because obviously without the paddle all the way on the surface you have less motion through the water to push yourself up with. In my Atom which is not so straightforward to roll, a super low brace like that without my paddle all of the way on top of the water is a little harder to pull off.
I never use this in the river though, only on the lake often as a warm up for more normal roll practice. I really don't like to be hanging that far out of the boat upside down in moving water with rocks, it's hard to describe but my combat roll looks more like my head staying tucked right to the deck most of the time, with the setup and most of the pushing from my arms happening before my hip snap, so my face stays covered until I'm just about to complete the roll. It's not fast (making a point to stop, tuck in, and roll using mainly arms is a good way to lose any momentum you had from flipping in the first place) but it's reliable.