Thigh straps vs lap belt pros and cons

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

C1Be1
c

Thigh straps vs lap belt pros and cons

Post by C1Be1 »

Converting a new c1 play boat and wondering wether to use a lap belt or thigh straps
Paddle Power
C Maven

Re: Thigh straps vs lap belt pros and cons

Post by Paddle Power »

You can probably find some relevant information using the search feature.

I find that thigh straps work better in Open canoes than Decked boats. And that lap belts are better at keeping my butt secure to a C1 saddle.

The main difference is my OC1s all have foot pegs whereas my C1s don’t. I glue a thin sheet of foam to the C1 hull under my feet. It provides some foot friction or grip (as well as some insulation from a cold hull/water) but definitely my feet are not as secure compared to foot pegs.

Plus lap belts mount to kayak outfitting holes. Likewise for hip grabbers or hip pads.

Seat back height can play a role. I like a taller seat back in my C1.

I’ve tried a knee strap with a lap belt. Either webbing or snowboard ratchet strap. Keeping your knees secure is important for control and rolling. I’ve also tried foam knee braces or a mini bulkhead. Again to keep my knees in place.

I’m thinking more holistic than thigh straps vs lap belt pros and cons
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Thigh straps vs lap belt pros and cons

Post by Sir Adam »

I prefer tight outfitting (hip grabbers, good knee cups) and thigh straps - if I HAVE to I can push out of them, and otherwise I'm tight enough. Squirting, river running, and a little creeking are fine with this set up. I'm not trying any bouncy aerial moves though.

Lap belts, and having to reach up under a skirt to release it scare the daylights out of me.
Keep the C!
Adam