New Rigging?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

COcanoe
c

New Rigging?

Post by COcanoe »

My Bell Ocoee has Mike Yee outfitting that has served me well over many multi-day trips. But I'd consider replacing the pedestal and rigging if there are newer, better options. Just paddled 71 miles over 5 days and my body would appreciate more comfort if there is such a thing. Don't plan on replacing the canoe simply because I haven't seen anything better for what I do.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Re: New Rigging?

Post by Paddle Power »

As far as I know, it’s foam saddles with thigh straps, knee pads and foot pegs or a foam bulkhead with knee pads and foot pegs.

Less common are foam ankle wedges/lifts/blocks/supports, which might help improve your comfort during long days in the saddle.

I’m also feeling it after a self-supported 4 night wilderness whitewater trip—I tried out a used/new to me Rival OC1.

The Ocoee is pretty tight for anything much longer than 5 days, of course that depends on many things, but it rocks for performance whereas the Rival was long in the bow and has soft edges. Not many good ww tripping boats. Maybe a plastic hull such as a Silver Birch COVERT 10.5 SOLO or REBEL 11.3. The downside is weight.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roy
C Guru

Re: New Rigging?

Post by Roy »

COcanoe wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:20 pm my body would appreciate more comfort if there is such a thing.
What part of you is uncomfortable?

For me, on multi-day trips with long days in the boat (either decked or open), I take a 3.5"-thick block of minicel which I sit on (on top of my pedestal) for the flats and easier whitewater sections. I have not yet accidentally washed into more demanding water while perched the extra 3" high.

Roy