Esquif Excite vs Silverbirch Covert 9.3

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Neptune

Esquif Excite vs Silverbirch Covert 9.3

Post by Neptune »

Hi I am new to the forum and was hoping someone could give me some insight into some OC1’s. I am in the market for a new boat and have had my sights set on a Silverbirch Covert 9.3. Until recently I had been toying with the idea of getting a Detonator and then stumbled on this different hull design on the Excite by Esquif. At 5’10 and 185lbs the smaller version, the, Esquif Extasy, seems to be a little small and so I was really interested in the Excite. The only problem is there doesn’t seem to be too many out there and so no chance of me trying one out. The boat would mostly be for Alberta rivers like the Kicking Horse or the Kananaskis, and when south of the border in Washington state on rivers like the White Salmon.
The Covert seems to have a strong following and I have read many good reviews as it seems to be a good design with ample speed and stability. I haven’t given up on the Esquif Excite but just wanted to hear what others had to say about it. The rear portion of the boat has a very different design than most boats on the market and I was just wondering if it is really as good as the few reviews I have found say it is.
If anyone has any experience or advice/information regarding the Esquif Excite I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Paddle Power
C Maven

Re: Esquif Excite vs Silverbirch Covert 9.3

Post by Paddle Power »

I’ve paddled the Esquif Extasy and I’d concur that it would be a very tight fix for you at 185 pounds.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Thanks for getting back to me Paddle Power, appreciate it.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I can add, I’d definitely get a Silverbirch Covert 9.3 over an Esquif Detonator.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Thanks Paddle Power for the info, yes, the Covert is what I’m leaning towards.