Fiberglass Crack Repair, Unemployed Boaters Union Local 282

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

poetry_heckler
Pain Boater

Fiberglass Crack Repair, Unemployed Boaters Union Local 282

Post by poetry_heckler »

Hey everyone, I cracked the stern of my Descender this past weekend. Just wondering if anyone had any Pro Tips they wanted to pass on as I repair it.

I've got resin, fiberglass mat, and lightweight roving to do the job. About an 8" crack far back enough to the end of the boat that I won't be able to do any work from the inside.

I think I can get resin in the crack before pushing it together flush.

From what I gather, I should remove any loose material, sand the damaged area extending 2" or so on the sides and ends of the crack, clean with a new rag and acetone, and apply layers of material wetted out, covering the area tight with release film until set.

Can someone recommend using mat over roving? Or layering both materials together?

It seems Saran Wrap is a fine release film. Any other ideas?

Also, I've got a black hull. What's the best way to tint epoxy? I've got lampblack pigment on hand. If you have thoughts on that, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, y'all.
ASPIRIN SANDWICH
poetry_heckler
Pain Boater

Re: Fiberglass Crack Repair, Unemployed Boaters Union Local 282

Post by poetry_heckler »

This seems to be the most straightforward and professional video I could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm2Ezo70vFI

Fully half of the comments are compliments on the guy's hair, which seems reasonable.

All the other videos I could find feature ugly work and guys wiping things clean with rags still wet with stain from other projects.
ASPIRIN SANDWICH
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

First, throw out that mat and roving. There's no place for that on a whitewater boat.
Buy some 6 ounce S-glass from Sweet Composites and proceed as planned.
No need to tint. The patch will be clear when dry. If not, spray with black spray paint.
JKaz......
poetry_heckler
Pain Boater

Post by poetry_heckler »

Thanks, Kaz. That's just the kind of help I need.

ML
ASPIRIN SANDWICH
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

If the crack is all the way through it is worth trying clean it up on the inside and get a patch back there. It may require pulling some outfitting out of course (a good excuse to tweak things anyway;) ), and perhaps the scraper on a stick (later epoxied fiberglass). I'd almost be tempted to put kevlar on the inside if you have some. I'd keep glass on the outside though (kevlar tends to fuzz and isn't readily sandable).

You're probably already all set, but if not I'd call Sweet Composites up and order the smaller containers of WEST systems epoxy (105 and whatever hardner you prefer) and some S glass and kevlar pieces. If you were around here I'd give you some scraps as I have plenty still.

Good luck and post an image or two!
Keep the C!
Adam
poetry_heckler
Pain Boater

Post by poetry_heckler »

Thanks, Adam. It's far enough back that I don't think I can reach. It's in the last 20" pointy inches of a twelve foot boat.

Your advice will probably come in handy later as I seem to want to push this thing into its intended use as a creeker.

I'll send some images later.

ML
ASPIRIN SANDWICH