S T R E T C H I N G

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

poetry_heckler
Pain Boater

S T R E T C H I N G

Post by poetry_heckler »

I've got a question. After a nice day out in my vintage pain machine, I find that I can no longer walk down the street like a mere mortal.

I am almost crippled and I find that I have forgotten which way my knees were designed to operate.

I can go upstairs with mild complaints, but downstairs only with complete abandon or sloth-like pacing and goat-like shrieking.

Does anyone have some stretching regimens or general approaches to Leg Maintenance and Knee Upkeep that will keep me gladly hucking nonsense with my single bladed pals on the gravity assisted waterways of the world?

Thanks in advance.
ASPIRIN SANDWICH
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Re: S T R E T C H I N G

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I was in my late 40's when I decided to lower the saddle and be a C1r. It took a year to train my knees to accept the tighter confines of the cockpit. I did not do any stretching of note. I will say from experience that you should do more walking and biking to keep your knees strong. I had major swelling in the knees within 5 years and cured that by starting a walking regimen to work 5 miles away twice a week. I've had no swelling since. I also keep a canoe saddle next to my desk so that on a daily basis I kneel down for a few minutes year round.
My saddle height in a C1 is 8" now, it was down at 6.5" when I started.
I alternated between my open boat and the C1 the first couple of years.

Others may have a stretching regimen.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Another thing I do when it isn't so dam hot is evening flatwater runs on a local stream. It can be an hour or two. I set up a bike at the end point and then paddle down to it then ride back to the car. Doing this mid week on a weekly basis has helped with stamina and I tend to tolerate longer river runs on the weekend. Your boat should be fast and fun to paddle on flatwater. Learn to do a pivot turn and you can break up the monotony with a good stern squirt.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I used to have a spare saddle that I'd use at home in preparation for paddling season, but a volleyball etc. would also work.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
keez
C Guru

Post by keez »

Yin yoga; it's helping to keep my rugby-battered 60 year old knees in an open boat.