C1 Conversion and recommended "Paddler Weight"- Need Advice!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

serpensphile
c

C1 Conversion and recommended "Paddler Weight"- Need Advice!

Post by serpensphile »

I want to convert an Axiom into a C1 (want a "comfortable", playful, river runner that I can surf and get vertical in). I already have the kit so all I need is the boat. I weight 180 lbs/82 kg, but by the time I get my pfd, helmet, paddle, water, snacks, throw rope, rescue gear (a lot) I'm sure I'll be pushing 200 lbs/91 kg.

Axiom 8.5: PADDLER WEIGHT: 130 - 210 LBS. / 59 - 95 KG
Axiom 9.0: PADDLER WEIGHT: 180 - 265 LBS. / 82 - 120 KG

So I'm thinking the "best fit" would be to go larger and try to find an Axiom 9.0. What do you think?

Thanks!
Paddle Power
C Maven

Re: C1 Conversion and recommended "Paddler Weight"- Need Advice!

Post by Paddle Power »

What are the boat specs for dimensions? Sometimes a little wider or longer is better for a C1.
Volume-wise, I might go for the smaller volume as C1 paddler weight is very centred.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
serpensphile
c

Post by serpensphile »

Thanks for the reply!!!

The differences between the two are:

Axiom 8.5- Length- 8'6" Width- 25.5 " Volume-63 gal Paddler Weight Range: 130 - 210 lb

Axiom 9.0:- Length- 9' Width- 27.75" Volume-78 gal Paddler Weight Range: 180 - 265 lb

I'm ~180 lb but I figure with all my gear I'm putting around 200 lb in the boat total.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I've suffered in some C-1s that were too small for me (or else I just don't like C-1ing, that could be it too!). So, my advice/bias is to go bigger.

Personally, I'd take a look at that width of the 8.5, I'd consider 25.5" to be too narrow, and I'd quickly move on.

P.
serpensphile
c

Post by serpensphile »

Agree with you about the width. That's the one thing that got me. I'd love to find a playful river boat that had less volume than the 9.0 but the same width or wider!
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

In general, if I'm boating with kayakers then I like a C1 that is slightly longer than what the kayakers are paddling because it's a bit faster of a boat that helps make up for my single blade.

And in general, because of the higher centre of gravity when paddling C1s, a slightly wider boat is preferred. A wider boat is also helpful if it means you can get your knees wider apart.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
serpensphile
c

Post by serpensphile »

I agree with you there! It's hard to keep up at times with the 2-bladders!

My thought is I'm ALREADY used to paddling a larger boat (width and length) so bigger *MIGHT* better. I fall right in the middle with my weight so it's difficult to decide. There's not a lot of converted C1's around for me to try out! :D
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Where are you?

Maybe you'll be surprised and find some local. Won't know unless you ask!

There's a Redline in Winnipeg that I'd be happy to have someone try (or buy).

P.
serpensphile
c

Post by serpensphile »

I'm near Raleigh NC. I've got a few conversions I'm trying out. Most are play boats, however.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

If you haven't met them already, Cheajack is in that area and paddles both C1 and OC. Mike W is in Roanoke Rapids if my memory is correct and has a few C1s and conversions.
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

At your weight and wanting to get vertical I would stay away from the 9.0. The 9.0 is just absolutely huge! I have a 9.0 converted and weigh 215lbs currently. I have also squashed the stern a bit. I need lots of current to get it in anywhere near vertical. At my weight all I am able to do reliably is slice the tall under for pivot turns.
However, the 9.0 make a fantastic, stable and yet playful C1 that surfs like a dream and is fast as hades.

I had a dagger redline when I weighed around 205lbs and that was a great boat. I could get vertical very easily and stall it for long periods. I am hoping a used 8.5 comes on the market so i can snag that up for days I want to be more playful and re-live some of the playful days I used to have with my redline.

I think you would be happy happy with an 8.5. The axiom is such a stable design that the 25.5 width shouldn't be a problem.
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

Id like to add to my opinion that I don't think you would go wrong with the 9.0. It would still be fun and also be ultra forgiving but at your weight you would not be able to utilize the design to its full potential. Even at 215lbs I can't use it to its full potential. The 8.5, on the other hand, may be a tad squirly but you most definitely will be able to use all aspects of the boat. If you're looking for something fun but still forgiving go with the 9.0, if you want a little more challenge and potential to play, go with the 8.5. Another alternative is a Pyranha ripper large but I can't speak to that boat.