Blackfly Ion Max Weight

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RCa
c

Blackfly Ion Max Weight

Post by RCa »

Anyone 215-220 lbs paddling the Ion that can give a review?
I am considering one but have heard it may ride too low at that weight to be enjoyable.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Blackfly Ion Max Weight

Post by Wendy »

The boat is a blast. I had an original when my weight was higher than your range and loved it. I lost weight, bought a new one and it is also a fun play boat. The aluminum mold version has more momentum than the original but lost some primary stability. If you are looking for a fun, fun boat buy one. It can handle your weight easily.
jdryden78
c

Post by jdryden78 »

I asked this question on GDI and was told that at my 215-220 it was fine for park and play, but not necessarily the best option for river running. I took this to mean it was time to diet lol.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Whatever weight you are to use the Ion as a river runner means you will get some exercise. It is a short boat so not a lot of momentum. I paddled it down Clear Creek, Lilly to Nemo and had a blast. If you don't mind paddling a lot more than longer boats you can take it anywhere.
RCa
c

Post by RCa »

Update- I picked up an Ion. Only have used it at the WW Center. I am clocking in at 210lbs. As you would expect, any nominal amount of water in the boat makes a negative difference. I have solved the problem by using a 2-pump bilge which empties it quickly. I would say Wendy's comments are spot on. Its a lot of fun and I have a lot of work on my skills to grow into it. Rolls like a charm!
redneckdan
c

Post by redneckdan »

I am 6-2 240lbs. I have paddled an Ion in a parking & play type of environment. I looked absolutely ridiculous in the thing but it was a very fun boat!