looking for a new boat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

zqueen
c

looking for a new boat

Post by zqueen »

Every year I get older, my Cascade seems heavier. So I'm looking at the Wide Ride or Hornet from Millbrook but I can't find much info on either of these. I feel very stable in my cascade but want something lighter, but still easy and stable to paddle. Maybe even EASIER, less likely to flip than the Cascade. I know the Hornet is based on the Cascade but I'm 220lbs and I'm hoping the Wide Ride would be an even more stable, easy to paddle boat. Any experienced opinions out there?
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: looking for a new boat

Post by Mike W. »

I was lucky enough to catch Bob headed South one Thanksgiving many years ago. He met me at my local river for a demo. I think it's essentially a narrowed cascade. It's faster and way more responsive than the cascade. Probably a little less stable. You'll love the light weight both on and off the water. If you like the way your cascade paddles, you'll really like the hornet. Hopefully Bob will chime in.
zqueen
c

Post by zqueen »

any info on comparison between hornet/cascade and wide ride?
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

zqueen wrote:any info on comparison between hornet/cascade and wide ride?
The Hornet is happiest with people under 150 lbs, the Wide Ride was for Bob Connolly (200+ lbs).
Bob P
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Where are you located? I have both here in Queensbury, NY and you (or anyone else) are welcome to swing by and try them out (I'm right on the Hudson, albeit a flatwater stretch).

Hornet is a "sporter" Cascade, and yes, a bit less stable.

Wide Ride might be better.

River Elf Storm Chaser might be another option depending on what you are looking for.
Keep the C!
Adam
zqueen
c

Post by zqueen »

thanks for the info. I've grown into a beefy 220 so looks like the Wide ride is the way to go