Old Town Pathfinder Canoe

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

retiredva
c

Old Town Pathfinder Canoe

Post by retiredva »

Hi folks. Helping a friend who's not computer literate sell her 20 year old Old Town Pathfinder. Could anyone please advise what she should ask for it? It's very lightly used and hasn't been in the water for about 5 years.

Many thanks!

Denis
retiredva
c

Re: Old Town Pathfinder Canoe

Post by retiredva »

Based on advice/guidance from this site, I posted this canoe (see below) for $500. A prospective buyer asked if it's made of made of polyethylene or Royalex? Being a newbie and a novice, I have no idea and neither does the owner. Any suggestions concerning how I might determine that?

TIA
retiredva wrote:Hi folks. Helping a friend who's not computer literate sell her 20 year old Old Town Pathfinder. Could anyone please advise what she should ask for it? It's very lightly used and hasn't been in the water for about 5 years.

Many thanks!

Denis
wwh
c

Post by wwh »

The Pathfinder has a Royalex hull.
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

There should be a number on a metal plate, or stamped into the plastic. Call Old Town and see if they can tell you.

Or if you can post photos here someone may be able to tell.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Post by valhallalongboats »

Had a couple Pathfinders in the school fleet, to my knowledge, all Pathfinders were Royalex. To my imperfect recollection, Old Town didn't really do cross-material models. Mad River did Explorers in a whole quiver full of different materials but Old Town used different molds and materials even if they were producing two very similar models. The Pathfinder was Royalex, its Old Town poly equivalent (not the same hull, but not far off) was the Discovery 147. The Camper was their 16 foot royalex boat, its poly cousin was the Discovery 158, likewise the 17'2"royalex Tripper shared some DNA with the Discovery 169. 500 bucks for a good-condition Pathfinder seems pretty standard to me, your mileage may vary.
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Old Town used the name "Oltonar" for Royalex for a while, in the early days of Royalex.
retiredva
c

Post by retiredva »

Thanks very much to all for your guidance and advice!
retiredva
c

Post by retiredva »

I have additional information on my canoe and am wondering whether it's important in my effort to sell it. I'm told the serial number on the hull means it was manufactured in 1980 and, stamped next to the serial number, is the word "second." I'm guessing that means it is not quite perfect so Old Town sold it as a second. Also, it was originally used as a sailing canoe and I have the original sail, but not the mast. Is any of this meaningful?
Again, many thanks!