paddle shaft reinforcement question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

NickParker
C Guru

paddle shaft reinforcement question

Post by NickParker »

Years ago I took a $35 Caviness Pro paddle, cut off the handle and made a nice T grip, put a Dynel/epoxy tip on the blade, and put 4oz Eglass & epoxy on the paddle faces. I coated the shaft and handle in epoxy. It was an experiment and I expected it to last about a year, but when it went floating away from me the other day I had been using it for at least 10 years.

So I'm making a couple more.

I'm considering extending the Eglass reinforcement partially up the shaft. Is that a good idea, and if so, how far up the shaft should I go?
Roy
C Guru

Re: paddle shaft reinforcement question

Post by Roy »

For shafts, the answer for me is Dynel sleeve.

http://sweetcomposites.com/Polyester.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slip it on, tape the ends down, soak well with epoxy resin, after hard sand it to remove fuzz. Easy...and lasts nearly forever.

I think Walbridge has a short description of its use in Boat Builder's Manual (look for a copy at your favorite out-of-print on-line source). I would suggest doing a practice run on scrap shaft material; the trick is to get the right amount of epoxy into the Dynel so the epoxy soaks into the wood.

Roy
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

I thought about Dynel sleeve, it would take about $2-3 dollars worth to do these two paddles. Sweet's minimum order is $25, plus I'd have to pay shipping. Buying more stuff to get to the minimum would be OK if I needed minicel, epoxy, Dynel cord, cloth, etc., but I already have a good stock of all that stuff.

It would be preferable to just use the 4oz Eglass I have on hand. Has anyone done that, or have an opinion about how it would work, or how far up the shaft to go?
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

12 inches up the shaft should be fine . I would use S-glass . Same weight twice the strength. The highest stress is at your shaft hand that forms a fulcrum.

I've lots of dynel sleeve. Send me you address and I'll send you some.
Cheers
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

ClassFive Boats wrote:12 inches up the shaft should be fine . I would use S-glass ....
Just the info I was looking for. Thanks!
... I've lots of dynel sleeve. Send me you address and I'll send you some...
PM sent. I owe you a beer!
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

I sent some material, it should be there by now. The Dynel and S glass is for shaft repair, carbon fiber blade repair.
Cheers
Vic
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

I received it today. Thanks!