Slalom in the midwest

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bearboater
CBoats Addict

Slalom in the midwest

Post by bearboater »

With spring upon us, and the fight for space on waves in the winter Lake Superior surf season coming to an end. I’m trying to rally a Midwest slalom crew to get the butter cup back to MN, or at least western WI.

I scored a new Vajda last fall and need to get it out more. (Pics for attention soon)
Cheers,
Bearboater
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
lung
C Guru

Re: Slalom in the midwest

Post by lung »

Would love to experience running gates on the lower Saint Louis!!! Had a conversation with someone (I'm horrible with names) last summer at the outpost who said she has access to gates there. She also has the knowledge of where they placed them in the past and said she was down to figure something out if we could find enough people interested that are willing to put in the work. Would love to take part in making it happen for at least one event. Have been meaning to ask around to try to find her contact info.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

Randy Carlson was the old director of the Outpost(also a national level K1), I've raced there a couple of times in the mid 2000's. Used to be a national training center and a frequent of the USA Tour. Always up to paddle, bringing the slalom boat up again tomorrow-Friday. I'll likely run up to Stoney swell pending, otherwise I'll likely try to find an open patch on the St. Louis or just paddle flatwater on the lake...

I was all excited for this warm weather we'd had, what a false hope that was.
Attachments
Demon2.jpeg
Demon Hull.jpeg
Demon1.jpeg
redneckdan
c

Post by redneckdan »

Is there somewhere to catch some surf action on superior this time of year? I'm up on the range.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

I'll be in Virginia and Eveleth tomorrow and Friday.

Yeah, Hit up Stoney Point, http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/sto ... lite-view/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this link has the swell height and locations of decent breaks. Stoney and the river outlets are the best. If there's a wind, there's a wave. Winter is usually best for the surf spots.

Where do you usually paddle up there?
redneckdan
c

Post by redneckdan »

I'm new to OC1 and white water in this area. I've rowed rafts and dorys on II/-III on trout water in Michigan, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, etc... Most of my local paddling is in the BWCA for injuries and/or casualties. I've got my boat somewhat setup and I'm looking to get it wet, bags should be here this week.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

Nice. I grew up on the Alberton Gorge in Missoula. I’d kill for that run again, big waves, deep water...