Ash Gunnels

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

woodsy
c

Ash Gunnels

Post by woodsy »

Who needs ash gunnels and/or thwarts? A friend of mine owns a small custom millwork shop here in Northern Wisconsin. He’s made up gunnels for me and a few friends and was wondering if there would be enough of a market to go into full production. He feels like he could easily compete with the retailers he has seen online. If there is a viable market he would explore shipping options. Do you have access to quality ash components at reasonable prices? What do you consider reasonable? Let me know your thoughts and needs.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Re: Ash Gunnels

Post by Paddle Power »

It might be helpful to post to other canoeing forums, including canoe restoration sites.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

... and check with Kaz... I'm not sure if he's looking for an additional supplier or not:)
Keep the C!
Adam
woodsy
c

Post by woodsy »

Thanks, are you reading this Kaz?
Sounds like in the the not too distant future, ash is going the way of royalex. The emerald ash borer is making it’s way across the country and land owners are harvesting their ash while they still can.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

I am reading this, Woodsy. If you were closer, I'd be interested.
thanks!
JKaz......
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'd be interested if I could get longer pieces (17') and shipped reasonably, but that quickly becomes a huge factor in the cost. I've switched to cherry as I can get it locally, at least up to 16'.