surfc1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

nam
C Guru

surfc1

Post by nam »

Anyone done this, in this kind of boats, in a c1, wondering what that looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-aPTLW ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks fun
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: surfc1

Post by Sir Adam »

When I traveled to the coast on business I used to always bring a boat to surf - it was a blast. the Viper (Frachella designed) was a lot of fun, and easy (comparatively) to get out past the breakers with.

The boat that was the most fun was the Massive Groove. That was (is!) an awesome boat for surfing, but for me was a handful at time to get out past the breakers (short and slow, with lots of edge).

MikeW has surfed a bit too, as have others.

I've even seen folks surf in open canoes (and I'm talking Old Towns here, not whitewater boats).

It's a lot of fun. Just keep your bow up on the way in. When your bow hits the sand and you were almost vertical on the way anyway, the forward flip is, ah, "dynamic"...
Keep the C!
Adam
billhay4
Pain Boater

Post by billhay4 »

I used to surf my Blackwater regularly at the North Carolina beaches. Had a big advantage over surfboards in that you could catch waves much further out. This was because you could get up much better hull speed in a boat, even a c-boat.
I learned pretty quickly not to let the bow dive, and to side surf waves after they broke.
Lots of fun.
Bill
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Like Adam, I like my Viper for the ocean. Tough part is getting out through the breakers. Once you're on a wave, keep the bow up, particularly if you're surfing the shore break. If you pearl, you'll probably ender, unless you tilt way over to shed the water quickly. I have planted the bow of a Cascade in the sand. The wave pushed the stern up & over so I landed on my head in the sand.

Ocean surfing is a lot of work, but it sure is fun. It's a totally different surf than you'll get on a river wave. Be mindful of kids on the beach when you're coming in. They're fascinated by us & don't understand that we have little control just before beaching the boat.

When you're not in the boat ALWAYS stay between the ocean & the boat. If a wave catches the boat it can hurt you bad.

Here's a picture that my wife took of me at Kill Devil Hills, NC.
Attachments
untitled.png
C1NCR
C Boater

Post by C1NCR »

I surf my Dentonator on the Pacific side down here pretty often. My wife likes the beach. Getting the boat out through the surf is a workout but the ride in can be great fun. If you are on a beach break it will teach you to tuck fast and tight.
nam
C Guru

Post by nam »

Nice, thanks guys.
UKnutter
c

Post by UKnutter »

Yes. I have an ic surf kayak converted to c1.

Have a look on Facebook search C1 Kayak Conversions.

It's a 3m boat. A real handful but it is so fast and fun. There is no better feeling than falling down the wave face in a surf specific boat.