Paul Fantetti

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

JFD
C Guru

Paul Fantetti

Post by JFD »

I just saw some sad news on Facebook that Paul Fantetti passed. I haven't been in touch with him in a couple of years and never met any of his family, so I don't know any additional details. Paul was one of the pioneers of class 5 open boat paddling, in his pink Dagger Prophet. He had the first OC-1 descent of Mann's creek, detailed in an article he wrote for the AW journal back in 1996. Also was probably the first open boater down the North Fork of the Blackwater and some of the other Canaan Valley steep creeks in WV, with lots of high water runs on the Blackwater and all the Cheat tributaries. He raced many times on the Russell Fork, usually the only open boater in the whole group. Sad to hear this news, and just thought I'd mention it on here since many of you may have known him. He was a legend, and a super nice guy, willing to take the time to show you down a new river and always bringing a huge amount of energy to the scene. jay
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Paul Fantetti

Post by PAC »

Sorry to hear! :cry: Thanks for posting!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
firebuilderssister

Post by firebuilderssister »

Thank you Jay for such a beautiful tribute to my precious brother, Paul Fantetti. This has been extremely hard for me and my older sister, he was our baby brother at 6'6" with a heart of gold! Someone told someone who told Sally and she forwarded this link to me. Need to give more details later if that is okay but there is a memorial planned for Paul at the Blackwater Falls State Park (arrangements there not finalized) for October 28th 2017. He wanted his ashes deposited into those gorgeous waters he loved. His words were: "I wish my ashes to be deposited in any stream/tributary that flows into the upper Blackwater River above the falls which is located in Tucker County West Virginia." We want to do that with life celebration too. Jay, I still have that copy of american whitewater magazine. Please spread the word about Paul's memorial - he went "off the grid" about 10 years ago or so, didn't like the internet much. He passed away very peacefully in his home with a friend near him. He went to sleep and didn't wake up. I chose my user name as "firebuilderssister" from his firebuilder days! My name is actually Laura Fantetti Thompson. He was an amazing brother and man.
JFD
C Guru

Post by JFD »

Laura,
Thanks for posting on here, and I'm sorry for you and your family. I will also pass this info along to some others that knew him. The Blackwater is a beautiful place, and a fitting place for a memorial. It's difficult to get down into the canyon on foot, but worth the effort for those that can do it. Pendleton Point in the state park is a gorgeous overlook into the heart of the canyon, fairly secluded but with road access and a picnic shelter, so might be a good option to consider if you're planning a memorial service there. It would be about a mile drive from there to the nearest place to access the river though. Like I said previously, Paul was a legend, and he will be missed. jay
firebuilderssister

Thank you Jay. Part of the West Va boaters near there are planning the memorial as we live in Cincinnati. I will share your suggestion with them. I don't know if you know Jane too but she has offered the cabin in Hendricks for a memorial/celebration of Paul's life. So many people have reached out. I hope I can meet you one day so you can share some of those stories. Paul took my husband down the Yough many years ago and it was a trip of a lifetime for him.
firebuilderssister

There is a memorial/life celebration here in Cincinnati, Ohio on Friday, September 29th from 7-10 at Paul & Jane's former residence at 3337 Wunder. Paul was renting the 1st floor when he passed away. I recall many boater gatherings there many years ago both before and after trips so for those who know where it is, please join us! Jane lovingly planned this and we are just helping her.
firebuilderssister

7 - 10 PM of course, sorry!