C1 Advice

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Roadie

C1 Advice

Post by Roadie »

Hello! So i need some help as i know nothing about C1's.
I was wondering what the best kayak to use for converting to a C1 would be?

I normally paddle a Mad River Outrage but am looking for something i can creek with. I'm 6'0 190 lbs.
Any advice would help a lot.
YTcanoe
C Guru

Re: C1 Advice

Post by YTcanoe »

ZET DirectorC1 - factory conversion

http://www.zetkayak.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in the US

or my site http://www.zetkayaks.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Canada - I'm not biased, I bought into the company because they are the best out there :) , same goes for the American distributers, who are also C1ers
strong
C Boater

Post by strong »

Their is a lot of personal preference, so I would start with used kayaks to not spend a lot be able to resell them as kayaks, and eventually find one you like. When you look at boats, generally above 26 inches in width, will be good for someone of hour size, and look to the bottom of the weight range they give as a kayak. If you find a boat that looks like a potential, searching for it on here usually pulls up a detailed discussion, also the for sale section is a good way to learn about what people are paddling. I vary between 190 and 210, and have had a remix 79 for a few years and really enjoyed its predictability and speed for its size. I am switching to a karma l, to test having something with harder rails and more volume, hoping for more primary stability.

Coming from an Outrage you will also find most conversions slow, even if c1ers review them as fast boats. This takes some adjustment and you may find that rapids which you found easy in the outrage are now much harder, but it won't be just from the new boats lack of stability. But as you adjust to paddling a smaller slower but drier boat its woth it.
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

Thank you for your replies guys.