Reuse, recycle. . .

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Reuse, recycle. . .

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

With the current trend to small, PE solo boats, even for tandem use, we're seeing larger, old-school solo boats hitting the f/s market.

Now, we're seeing tandem boats (Octane 92, Covert) in use, smaller than old-school solo boats.

Personally, I converted an old 14' Piranha to tandem. Not a bad boat! And there's lots of tandemized MEs around.

So -- wondering what other older solo hulls have been converted to tandem. Anyone converted a Genesis? Rival? Ovation? Viper? Outrage? Rampage? Prophet?. . .

Reviews?

Thanks in anticipation!
Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
yarnellboat
C Maven

Re: Reuse, recycle. . .

Post by yarnellboat »

Hi Rick,

Right here in the Beaver club Dan B has a tandem H2Pro that is pretty great. I think that's a good hull for it. And I think Don F. here had a converted Viper 12, but mostly for a kid in the front seat. He was trying to sell it a while back, not sure what happened with it.

I've also heard of an Outrage X being converted, but it may be a little narrow? I think some solos may just not be designed to carry the weight of a tandem team, unless it's light paddlers or parent-kid. It's crossed my mind to try that for the kids with my old Outrage.

Pat.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Thanks for the reply, Pat. Yep, I've seen Don & Son in the Viper -- they looked great in it!

Recently, we've had a minor renaissance of tandem boating hereabouts, Problem with teaching Intro to Tandem Moving Water in big tripping boats is that students don't get to experience the fun of a more playable hull.

With Captions, Blasts and Vertige-Xs not back into production (?) there don't seem to be many tandem playboats around. And, while I have the itch to own my own Octane 92, I don't yet have the scratch.

A random ad for a cheap Genesis f/s recently triggered this inquiry. Wondered how it would work as a student tandem boat on Class II.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

You had me at cheap. I think the Genesis would be worth a go! In fact, if search that on here, I think there are some posts about this already that mention the Genesis as a tandem.

P.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Rick,

Genesis for sale for $750 on MEC in Lethbridge, along with an interesting Kevlar Mad River Cyclone (never heard of it).

Pat.
keez
C Guru

Post by keez »

I converted an Esquif Nitro to a tandem.
Boat handles better than the Blast.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I have converted a couple of Viper 11's and Viper 12's through the years. I like the 12 more than the 11 set up tandem. I have one now with tandem bulk heads that is pretty sweet.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

yarnellboat wrote:Rick,

Genesis for sale for $750 on MEC in Lethbridge, along with an interesting Kevlar Mad River Cyclone (never heard of it).

Pat.
If I recall, the Cyclone was Mad River's answer to some of Steve Scarborough's and Frankie Hubbard's designs in the Mid-80s.
Back then Jim and Kay would always show up with a trailer of boats for Nationals.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

yarnellboat wrote: . . .Genesis for sale for $750 on MEC in Lethbridge . . .
Ha! Yes, Pat -- this is the ad that got me thinking in the first place. . . A dangerous precedent!

Thanks all for your input. Maybe I was hasty in parting company with my old V-12!

More stories!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !