Dropzone available in US

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Dropzone available in US

Post by Wendy »

For those interested in buying a Dropzone OC1 they are now being imported by Red, William Ashton. He has a demo and a container of boats are being shipped the end of Jan. I paddled the demo and really enjoyed it so much that, of course, I ordered one. Red and Rich Moore have paddled it on class 2-5. I got to demo it on the Nanty.
Contact info for Red:
Canoekayakimportswnc@ gmail.com ( 828)736-2993.
Hou Canoes produces the boat in England. It will have a foam bulkhead saddle rather than the plastic one of the other Big Dog.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Re: Dropzone available in US

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Wendy wrote: . . . I paddled the demo and really enjoyed it so much that, of course, I ordered one. . .[
Would be very interested to know why you love it, Wendy. Review please!

Given the DZ's specs, would love to know how, in your opinion, the DZ compares to the Option

Thanks
Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I have paddled it 3 times on the Nanty in the demo so my 2 cents is from this limited paddling. The Dropzone OC1 has some of the great aspects of the Option and Octane 91/85 combined. It is really wide, bulbous, yet has nice edges that allow this boat to ferry, carve, and boof like an Octane 85, but be slightly wider than the 91 so it has good primary and secondary stability. It resurfaces quickly after boofing.
Compared to the Option it is more stable. I think the Option may have more glide but need to paddle the DZ some more. The only disappointment I have is that it will be 5 pounds heavier than the demo, but the boat has held up great paddled hard by Rich Moore and Red on class V runs. I'll add more when mine arrives. I think that Red and Rich have the most experience in the boat in the US.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Thank you, Wendy! :)

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
wncred
C Boater

Post by wncred »

Hey everybody,

I am William "Red" Ashton. I will be receiving a container of new Hou/BigDog DropZones some time in mid Feb. Rich Moore has better advise about the differences in the more recent boats on the market. Hit him up on facebook @RichMoore.... From my little time in these other boats, this is much more responsive. With the DropZones shorter waterline it truly makes it a creeking machine over the others. This is the boat that will take the people in the 85 and 91 to the next level. I kind of have a biased opinion.

FB: William Ashton (Red)
Phone: (828) 736-2993
Email: canoekayakimportswnc@gmail.com
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

Is information regarding the DropZone's width, type of hull (displacement or planning), and suggested paddler weight range available? I searched around the Internet for a few minutes, did not find any info. Thanks.
wncred
C Boater

Post by wncred »

Hi all,

When it comes to the boats style and dementions are as followed....

This would be considered a planning hull.
Paddler weight range between: 150-280 lbs
Length: 8'6"
Width: 32 1/2"
Depth: 19"
Weight: 55lbs

For any further question please feel free to email or call!
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

The Hou Canoe website now has updated pics of the hull and some vids.
http://www.houcanoes.com/dropzone.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;