Full cut Acrobat?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

wildwaterc2
Pain Boater

Full cut Acrobat?

Post by wildwaterc2 »

I have a 1/2 cut Viper and a masters cut Acrobat, and am interested in something between those two. I am wondering if a full cut Acrobat might be what would do well for me.

The masters cut Acrobat is a hoot for my 175 lbs. It feels like rolling a surfboard or something similarly flat and low displacement. It rolls very easily with how low it sits in the water.

The Viper is fun fast and stable by comparison, and feels a lot more like the slalom boat it was derived from. I like it's faster speed than the master Acrobat, and it is much more comfortable to sit in.

I am wondering if a full cut Acrobat might fit well between those two and would be interested in comments on how it would compare to those two. Also if you have a full cut Acrobat you are interested in selling I am likely interested.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Full cut Acrobat?

Post by Sir Adam »

For a cruiser I'd stick with a Viper.

If you want pointy, fast, and staying on the surface get a used slalom boat, and if the tail annoys you shorten it.

For a really fun surface boat check out the Millbrook Amoeba if you have the $$.
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Having owned a full cut Viper and both a full cut and master cut Acrobat. A full cut Acrobat would be a good fun boat but so would, Adam said, a slalom boat. Either a newer design or go old school. I've paddle the new school designs and had a blast. But I've also had a great time in old school boats I've owned as well.

The deal breaker in my mind would be the cost. Find a deal your happy with.

Either boat are fun. Life is short get what you want (sounds like you want the Full Acrobat).

Keep us posted and enjoy!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Wildwater2 I would agree with Adam, the Viper is a great cruiser and if you want something less demanding a modern slalom boat by Vajda or Galasport can be a great all around river runner. Low volume boats require you to work the run and don't know that the marginal increase in volume of a full cut Acrobat will achieve your ends. It won't be any more comfortable.
Can you describe what you want to achieve in any more detail?
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
wildwaterc2
Pain Boater

Post by wildwaterc2 »

Thanks for all of your inputs. I should add that I have a Fanatic that has damaged ends that I intend to cut down - it is a training layup so fairly solid. I've not cut it yet but it should be fun also once done. I've paddled it as is some and it is a fun boat. I hope to use it some for general cruising runs also. It is faster than the Viper but not quite as playful.

I've also found that my Acrobat is actually not a masters cut, but instead is a normal length but I think is a pretty substantial cut from full depth. I need to post some pictures to get input on it. I had measured the length wrong earlier.

I was thinking that an Acrobat with more volume might be a nice in between boat. I have a fun small surf wave about 15 minutes from my house that I like to go play on. My current Acrobat sits pretty deep and I was thinking a full cut version might sit a bit higher and maybe be more comfortable.

I'll try to get some depth pictures of my current boat and get some expert opinions on how deep a cut it is, and whether a full cut might have much more volume.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Or for something that is very stable and a blast get a Sith:) For a comfortable river runner with high playability you can't get much better. It isn't as fast as the other boats though.

As PAC said though, get what you want and have fun.

FWIW I think you'd find only a little difference between a full volume Acrobat and a shortened Fanatic. The two shapes are very similar (The Fanatic being the newer design). The Acrobat was based on a cut down race boat....
Keep the C!
Adam