Burn 3 conversion

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Burn 3 conversion

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

The Pyranha Burn has always received top marks as a C-1 conversion. But the Burn design has been tweaked, at least twice. I believe the current offering is, like, Mark 3 (?)

The current ads and reviews suggest "more river-runner, less creeker", sharp chines, better tracking but maybe less maneuverable than previous editions.

Anyone tried a Burn 3 conversion? Comments?

Thx
Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
whistlepig
c

Re: Burn 3 conversion

Post by whistlepig »

I have a Burn III that I converted using a Dagger console (Thanks Bailey). Generally, I think the boat works well as a C1 but can't compare to other Burn editions as I havent had an oppurtunity to paddle them. I'm afraid my pallette isnt descerning enough to comment specifically on it's characteristics.
"Free your heels. Free your mind."
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

whistlepig wrote: . . . Generally, I think the boat works well as a C1. . .
Thanks, whistlepig. Don't sell yourself short -- I'd still love to hear your impressions, even lacking comparisons: edges grabby? carves on a wave? primary stability? secondary stability? tracks well? maneuverable? rollability? punches waves/holes?

There are some trick questions in the list -- sometimes to gain one characteristic, you have to give up something else. . .

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

A little history, I am 190lbs, 5'9". I moved from an H3:255 to a Burn Large 2nd edition for the past 4 years. It has been a great boat. First off I can fit in it on a 7.5" saddle without my thighs digging in the combing. It was also nice and wide for knee placement. Sometimes it felt short in big water, but other then that way fun boat to catch eddies, ferry, surf etc.

I bought a barely used Blisstick Tuna this year, partially to obtain the Larry Horne carbon fiber saddle that was in it. I tried to make it work, but did not like it. It felt small and deep in the water. The displacement bow didn't ferry or surf like the Burn and didn't feel as snappy in and out of eddies. I also found it hard to control and felt like I was on top of the boat on a 7.5" saddle. I converted it back and sold it in 5 minutes on our local paddler FB page.

So I went to our local Pyhrana shop, Golden River Sports, in Golden, CO and Dennis Kostic, the manager, allowed me to lay my current boat next to the new 3rd gen Large and XL, I study them for quite a while. The big differences were the new Burn had sharper edges, volume was placed a little different and the new combing was flattened out and narrower. The new large was a little less volume, the sides at the hips seemed slightly lower, and slightly narrower then my current Burn. The XL had more volume, 3" longer, and similar height in the combing. So I opted for the XL.

In terms of outfitting the saddle system slide right in. I had to cut the combing to the point, it will never be converted back to a yak, but I fit in it nicely. The XL paddles similar to the my old large, but it is a little bigger, I really like it. I would still like to find and old 2nd Gen Burn Large for low water manky creek runs, as it was fun and probably a little more sporty/maneuverable.