Cheapest canoe ship from MA to Alberta!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

skangadang
C Boater

Cheapest canoe ship from MA to Alberta!

Post by skangadang »

Finding a ride is unlikely, so I'm wondering what our Canadian brothers and sisters use for freight companies from the Northeast across to Alberta CA? Old Dominion was like $600
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Re: Cheapest canoe ship from MA to Alberta!

Post by Bob P »

Alberta's a big province. If the trucker has to go 100 miles out of his way just for you, it's going to be expensive (like $2/mile, each way)
Bob P
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

The go-to places I know of, depending on length are Forward Air, Old Dominion, and Greyhound.

Border crossing adds $$$$. If you can ship to somewhere i the US closest US Old Dominion terminal) and go down to pick it up you'll likely save quite a bit.
Keep the C!
Adam
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

What Sir Adam said. Personally, I've had good luck with Canada Customs in recent years. As long as you have an honest receipt, and stay out of country for the minimum 48 hours, they may allow you to exceed the exemption limit by quite a bit.

Another shipping option I researched (though never actually tried) is uship.com -- you can sometimes get very competitive bids going. I'd be grateful for other opinions on this.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !