Grand Ronde boatable flow

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

Hi all,

What would be the minimum flow for the Grand Ronde River, 2 canoes, & 1 raft hopeful launch July 9th. It is running at about 50% of normal.

Carol
Einar
CBoats Addict

Post by Einar »

Hi Carole
I don't have the numbers, sorry, but when I took my wife down it on a Cat raft I was thinking that this would be a great canoe run. Friends in a tandem were having all the fun.

But on that run it was running High, Above Average.

My "thoughts" is that at lower levels it would pick up in technicality, lots of manoeuvring, but that is fun in my book. Lots of mid river boulders. Solo or tandem?

The raft might be busy, a Cat might be happiest.

The last rapid series- the Narrows- would become more canoe "interesting" at low levels, probably becoming more difficult, but then, that is just an opinion, not a fact.
The Narrows is easily scoutable on river left with good views.

At 50% levels my thought is the Narrows would be it is settling down into it's long approach slot and then the final two left hand turns might have more developed holes. At high levels there was a fat eddy river right 'tween the two rapids. Below that it is pool and a long slack swim... to Heller Bar
Again, opinion, not fact, on the low levels.

Nice river, have fun, Einar
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Carol
C Guru

Re: Grand Ronde boatable flow

Post by Carol »

Thanks so much for your input regarding the Grand Ronde.

Unfortunately, our group is canceling this particular outing due to injuries. So the rest of us are probably going to go up and spend some time on the Klamath River in northern California.

Happy Paddling
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Hi Carol:

I realize that you have cancelled your Grande Ronde trip, but thought I'd fill you in on runnable levels, just in case you do a future trip. I'm 65 miles from Boggan's Oasis (where highway 129 cross the Grande Ronde) and it is a regular class 2 run for us in these parts. The upper stretch (Minam to Troy) is runnable by raft above 1000cfs, and you could canoe it and probably raft it at almost any level. Most guide books indicate that 2000 or higher is best for the entire 91 miles (Minam to Heller Bar on the Snake R.) I've run from Troy to Heller Bar as low as 700cfs. We walked the first drop in the Narrows at 700 cfs only because a rock blocked the entry. At 1000 cfs I'd try it. I have run the Minam to Troy stretch at 11000cfs and it is straight forward. It moves you along at about 6-7 mph at that level, though no major stress. Just realize that at 1000cfs or less you will likely, on occasion, need to drag a raft short distances if you do a multiday trip 1000 cfs or less. It is a nice trip, but if you want to do a multiday run, I would do it at 2000cfs or higher.

If you want any further details, just pm me.

Cheers, Marc

PS I have to pick up my son from Arcata come the middle of July, so I was wondering is there is anything running in the area about that time?
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

The Trinity will be running, 3 different runs from -II to III+, There will be a group there over the 4th.
Klamath will have water, lots of different options too, it's just a long drive to the middle of nowhere but worth it. Everything else is winter/spring. If you're coming down I5 the upper Sacramento has a couple runs but it's been 20+ years. You've given me lots of advise on many rivers over the years:) :D thanks!! Our group will be on the Klamath part of the week of July 10th. There is a fun group of rafters from the Medford-Ashland area on the Klamath July 4th week. we generally join them, timing didn't work this year. When will you be in town? If timing works ~ who knows! Even have an Encore needing to get wet

Carol