Vinyl Adhesive

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Deuce
c

Vinyl Adhesive

Post by Deuce »

I need to re-adhere a couple of anchor points on my Vertige. In the past I've used Vynabond or Mondo Bond for this kind of job, but I can't get either in town any more. The last batch I bought came from the shop where I used to get both of the aforementioned adhesives. The tube just said Vinyl Adhesive but the store price sticker said Vynabond so I assumed it was the generic equivalent. I started the job last night but ran out after the initial layers on the hull and anchor patches. Now they're even out of that. The only thing I can find in town is Loctite Vinyl, Plastic and Fabric Adhesive. It contains MEK so I suspect it will work but would like to hear others' thoughts. Should I remove the existing layer of vinyl adhesive and start over with the Loctite adhesive, use the Loctite stuff for the second layer and pronounce it good, order some Vynabond or Mondo Bond and start over (I hope to use the boat this weekend so I'd rather not have to do that), or..........? What's an erstwhile open boater boy to do?
benman
c

Re: Vinyl Adhesive

Post by benman »

I typically use vinyltech 2000 for my anchors. Seems to work ok.
http://www.mec.ca/product/4004-626/nort ... -adhesive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just curious if anyone has also used the blue lepage presstite for knee cups. I've used it before and it seems to hold well but my bud is worried about softening royalex. Any feedback on this?
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.lepa ... 06487.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!
OC1_SURFER
Pain Boater

Post by OC1_SURFER »

If you have an Ace Hardware near you, then they should have this. It IS Vynabond. I've used it several times. http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... Id=1381659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deuce
c

Post by Deuce »

Okay, I saw a pool repair kit at HD and noticed it had vinyl cement. Good to know that will work in a pinch. Peter Blanc pointed me toward HH 66 and I was able to order some with two day shipping, so I should be in good shape. It'll be good to have some on hand. Thanks!
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Loctite "Vinyl, Fabric, and Plastic Adhesive" works well. I last bought it at Lowes, and used it for some thigh strap anchors.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

A word of caution when using Vynabond on Royalex. Apply only in thin coats and let partially air-dry before mating the parts. Too much adhesive volatiles can delaminate the vinyl from the substrate.
Bob P