wood gunwales on a Zephyr

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

wood gunwales on a Zephyr

Post by sbroam »

I've tentatively got putting wood gunwales on my Zephyr on the list of projects - it might be a while, but, i'd like to do it. Those of you that have wood gunwales on Zephyrs, how do you have the bag lacing run? through holes in the hull like with a lot of Royalex boats? If you converted, I'm imagining the holes for the wood gunwales would be higher than the ones for the rivets - were they low enough for the lacing? My gunwale stock is cut 5/8 x 3/4.
NickParker
C Guru

Re: wood gunwales on a Zephyr

Post by NickParker »

Scott, I never got around to putting wood on my Zephyr before I sold it, but I do still have these photos which may help you. I saved these from an online article RapidMedia did about the Zephyr. They must have removed the article from their server, because it no longer turns up in a search.

In one of the photos you can see that they drilled the hull just below the rails for the lacing.

https://goo.gl/photos/VN5afJzJLd6L4T2p8
Peter K.
C Boater

Post by Peter K. »

Yes, the holes on my Zephyr with factory installed wood gunnels are through the hull just below the gunnel. I never did find a bag that fit this boat very well -- some too big, others too small.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

Peter K. wrote:Yes, the holes on my Zephyr with factory installed wood gunnels are through the hull just below the gunnel. I never did find a bag that fit this boat very well -- some too big, others too small.
We bought Nick Parker's Zephyr and use Harmony 48" bags. Nick's boat had the factory minicell foam saddle so that may make a difference.

The Zephyr has to be one of my most favorite boats of all time. I am just concerned I'll crack it so I paddle it like a glass boat.
Peter K.
C Boater

Post by Peter K. »

Chuck,

Well, I paddled mine like it was Rx and put a couple of holes in it doing a 3 foot drop and finding a rock that I never knew was there. The factory repair was a pain. I've since found that ScotchWeld DP8010 is an effective adhesive for Twintex and now have 5 or 6 more patches along the chines which have been seriously abraided over the years. The boat is essentially toast after 7 years as my "daily driver." Guess I can't really complain -- replaced it with an Echoee.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

Peter K. wrote:Chuck,

Well, I paddled mine like it was Rx and put a couple of holes in it doing a 3 foot drop and finding a rock that I never knew was there. The factory repair was a pain. I've since found that ScotchWeld DP8010 is an effective adhesive for Twintex and now have 5 or 6 more patches along the chines which have been seriously abraided over the years. The boat is essentially toast after 7 years as my "daily driver." Guess I can't really complain -- replaced it with an Echoee.
Peter, that's great news about ScotchWeld. What did you use as a patch material or is ScotchWeld used alone?
Peter K.
C Boater

Post by Peter K. »

I had a series of vertical cracks on the chines -- a few on each side. I made appropriate size fibreglass patches and applied them to the inside of the hull with the ScotchWeld and then wetted them out with the Scotchweld. I then just applied some more ScotchWeld to any visible cracks on the exterior. This got me through all last season with no problems with the patches -- they seem just the same as when I applied them.

ScotchWeld should be applied liberally to a patch as it seems to disappear a bit when dried. Also, it is sort of on the rubbery side when dried. Our club has used it for thigh straps on Zephyrs, so I know it is unlikely to pull off under stress.

The downside is that it is a two-part glue and is fairly expensive. It also needs a special applicator which automatically mixes the two substances (our club owns one). Even so, you could outfit a boat for about $50 with another $50 for the applicator. Better than a trip to the factory.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

This might work for fiberglass repair. 3M 21210 Super 77 Spray Adhesive
http://smile.amazon.com/3M-21210-Super- ... sr=8-1#Ask" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I really like my Zephyr, but also paddle it like a glass boat. It sees as much time on black water as white - it's very well suited for twisty, swampy streams and is easier to navigate the ups, overs, and arounds than the the kayaks or bigger, heavier canoes other folks bring.

I've had luck with Goop holding down thigh strap anchors, but the same glue applied the same way (as a contact cement + sand bags to clamp it while curing) didn't work so well for air bag anchors :-S

Thanks for the feed back on the the lacing holes. Not sure when I'll get to it thought :-)