Gearing up

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jughead

Gearing up

Post by jughead »

I just bought a Mohawk probe 12. This Is totally new to me. I am wondering if I can get some suggestions on what I need other than paddle , saddle, and flotation bags. I am not even sure how whitewater canoers carry their water. Do I need a safety throw line? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pretty fired up!
milkman
C Maven

Re: Gearing up

Post by milkman »

Good PFD properly strapped, Helmet. Lessons (formal or informal) from an experienced paddler.

You can find a lot of resources out whitewater canoe outfitting with photos by searching around on the web (water bottles can be clipped with a carabiner to the lacing cord holding in your airbags). The book Thrill of the Paddle is a good resource. So is Basic Canoeing. Expert Village has some videos on basic canoe strokes and maneuvers for whitewater canoeing.

Good luck and welcome to the sport.
jughead

Post by jughead »

Thanks for the info. I checked out the videos. Specifically could anyone make a suggestion on a pfd. I am also curious as to what the suggested clothing for upper and lower body is for early summer paddling. I have a surf shirt. Do you suggest a dry suit top with board shorts? I have seen some reviews on helmets, strait forward enough. Thanks
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

I have use NRS for PFD's and other equipment since the '80's. There products last a life time if cared for properly. I have a 30 year old Bill's Bag that I use every summer on the raft.

They have a friendly and knowledgeable staff that can answer your questions. You can use their live discussion feature or call their toll free number.

http://www.nrs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

Jughead- watch alot of YouTube videos, and read everything you can on this forum, you'll get an idea of what you need. Then go to the nearest whitewater to you and practice and make friends. Its a great sport and great community. If you try hard and have fun...you'll fit right in . -M- :D
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Johhead, where are you located? My suggestion would be to find other WW open boaters or even kayakers who live or paddle near you. We all accumulate extra gear and frequently are eager to loan out said gear to newbies not sure what they want. Also, this sport is most easily learned in a mentorship type situation, find boaters that can take you under their wing and teach you not to mention the safety in numbers. Have fun and be safe.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
jughead

Post by jughead »

I have been working on paddling technique today. I can roll a kayak with ease. I can brace one easily and hold a sweeping brace easily. I am a little reluctant with this canoe. I feel my legs are so tight in it I do not know that I could easily swim if I failed making a roll. How tight should the over the thigh straps be? Should I easily be able to slide out or do I need to in lip thigh straps. Working on low braces. I am assuming if I am flipping towards off paddle side I give a pull stroke on strong side, correct?
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Yes you are describing a high brace. Also a a "righting pry stroke" is helpful to know and practice although it is had a counterintuitive feeling to start with
Einar
CBoats Addict

Welcome

Post by Einar »

Welcome.
Canoeing by nature is often a collaborative sport and that leads to making friendships that last a lifetime. Shuttle drives, weekend campfires, and mutual safety really helps in getting to know people.
The Mentorship comment is right on, try and paddle with paddlers better than you and observe their technique and rigs. The fun of canoeing is most paddlers recognize where they came from and that someone helped them. I find them quite generous.

As to swimming out of a canoe, I tend to be wickedly secured to my hull, i like it that way, tight straps, but... when I'm upside down, and that rarely happens, the principles seem to reverse and I can wash out of my boat with ease, also called the pre swim set up. It has something to do with buoyancy and mass and other words.
Do a few flips, hang there, and find your upside down comfort zone.
einar
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

What Aaron said:
arhdc wrote:Johhead, where are you located? My suggestion would be to find other WW open boaters or even kayakers who live or paddle near you. We all accumulate extra gear and frequently are eager to loan out said gear to newbies not sure what they want. Also, this sport is most easily learned in a mentorship type situation, find boaters that can take you under their wing and teach you not to mention the safety in numbers. Have fun and be safe.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Quality instruction