Request WV Governor help to fix Jenkinsburg Road (Cheat/BS)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Request WV Governor help to fix Jenkinsburg Road (Cheat/BS)

Post by PAC »

Copied from FB requesting assistance in fixing the access road to Cheat and Big Sandy runs.

West Virginia Professional River Outfitters and the West Virginia Division of Tourism plan to ask Governor Earl Ray Tomblin to prioritize much-needed road repairs on Bull Run Road (County Road 14/4), which runs from Hudson, WV to the takeout for the Cheat River Canyon. The poor condition of this road has been a major reason for declining use of this outstanding stretch of Class III-IV whitewater. This is also the takeout for the Lower Big Sandy River, a Class IV-V whitewater gem known for its waterfalls.

These rivers are well-known in whitewater circles and draw paddlers from all over the country. The High Bridge/ Jenkinsburg area was the site of a $25,000 access development by American Whitewater and Friends or the Cheat. FOC has also raised almost $20,000 for road and parking area maintenance over the past few years.

Paddlers need to contact Governor Tomblin and Tourism Commissioner Goodwin supporting this proposal. They need to hear from both in-state and out-of-state residents.

Here's a sample letter and contact information. Rewrite it so it's original for you.

Dear ______

Start by saying who you are, where you live, and why the Cheat River and Big Sandy are important to you.

I travel Bull Run Road, (County Road 14/4) from Hudson to the High Bridge over the Cheat River to reach the takeout for either the Cheat Canyon or the Lower Big Sandy. These are two of the best whitewater runs in the East, and the reason I visit the area. The road has been deteriorating for years, and is difficult for standard passenger vehicles to negotiate.

I sometimes paddle whitewater in nearby Maryland or Pennsylvania because I don't want to risk damage to my car. Wherever I stay I patronize local restaurants, motels, and campgrounds. The area is popular as a swimming hole in the summer months, too. People throughout the region travel here to enjoy it.

We appreciated the Governor's support for the Cheat Canyon Wildlife Management Area, which protected the canyon. But the last two miles of the road have continued to deteriorate. It's time to improve public access to the Cheat Canyon. Please support the West Virginia Division of Tourism and make the resources available to fix the road.

Sincerely,

Your Name and Address

Contacts:

Governor Earl Ray Tomblin
State Capitol
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia 25305

Governor's Comment Page: http://www.governor.wv.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;…/SubmitaCommenttotheGovernor.as…

Amy Goodwin, Commissioner
West Virginia Division of Tourism
90 MacCorkle Avenue, SW
South Charleston, WV 25303-1443
304-957-9345
Amy.S.Goodwin@wv.gov

Local legislators

Dave Sypolt
dave.sypolt@wvsenate.gov
Room 417M, Building 1
State Capitol Complex
Charleston, WV 25305
Capitol Phone: (304) 357-7914

Steve Shaffer
steve.shaffer@wvhouse.gov
Room 6RA, Building 1
State Capitol Complex
Charleston, WV 25305
Capitol Phone: (304) 340-3160
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Dave.E
C Guru

Re: Request WV Governor help to fix Jenkinsburg Road (Cheat/

Post by Dave.E »

I drove this road yesterday. It's definitely in really rough shape.
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;