Tellico first timer

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

space-katet
C Boater

Tellico first timer

Post by space-katet »

Hey all, I made it to the second weekend of ALF last year, so I know about Shoney's, etc. I don't know about the Tellico, though. I'm mostly a class III boater; can I handle the race? I saw something in old posts about the OUT race; sounds like that might be easy enough for me?

Excited!

Katie
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Re: Tellico first timer

Post by boatbuster »

Since no one else has answered, I will. The Upper Tellico is mainly class III at normal water levels with the exception of Jared's Knee which is a very solid 4 however as the water gets higher (not sure where this begins, but last year's race was a somewhat beefier level) the whole upper part gets harder. It is now 1.7 so assuming we don't get muchrain between now and then it should be on the low side but your best bet is to go Saturday and look at it from the road, then run it with someone who knows it the first time so you will be ready to race. Have fun!
space-katet
C Boater

Post by space-katet »

Thanks. I won't know anyone else, so hopefully if I show up at Shoneys I will find someone taking it slow or running something else II/III.
RobertM
Pain Boater

Post by RobertM »

My experience of ALFs past, even if you don't know anybody you can find somebody to show you some lines, it's a wonderful group of paddlers.

As to the race, it ends at the bottom of Baby Falls, so before Jared's Knee. The other point to consider is how the traffic level affects the river's rating.

Consider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfVX04HwvJk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure I'm going to make it this year, but I hope you (everyone for that matter) has a safe and great ALF.
Robert

"One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish"
space-katet
C Boater

Post by space-katet »

Sounds good- thanks!