Question for Millbrook Owners in the SE

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

waterbound
c

Question for Millbrook Owners in the SE

Post by waterbound »

I know skill level has a lot to do with it, but are they durable enough to handle most Western North Carolina rivers. Nothing above, say, Wilson Creek or Big Laurel? Or even low water class 2/3 runs?
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Re: Question for Millbrook Owners in the SE

Post by kaz »

I'm in the NE, but we have rocks too.
I'll say that if you plan on bouncing down rocks, get plastic.
JKaz......
waterbound
c

Post by waterbound »

Guess I could always bounce down rocks in the buttboat. The Millbrooks should be okay on less creaky runs, shouldn't they?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I've paddled my Blink on the Lower Green, Chattoogasection 3, 3 1/2 at low water, class 2-3 creeks.i would take it on Upper Green except walk Bayless Boof.
waterbound
c

Post by waterbound »

Upper Green is one I had in mind. I'm 66 and even my big old Jackson creeker kills me going up the hill.
waterbound
c

Post by waterbound »

Wendy, which class 2-3 creeks?
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Millbrook canoes are plenty tough. You'll be happy with one as long as you paddle it with occasional encounters with rocks. Not meant to be a sled on wet rocks though. They are very nimble. I paddle mine on the NH Swift Pemi and Warner with no issues. You can look up river info on AW to get an idea
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

If you are wandering about durability the Lower Green and Chattoga at lower water are like creeping. I've run Jonathan Creek, West Fork Pigeon class 2-3 section in the Blink. If you paddle it like you would paddle Royalex you are good to go. No splats or intentional repetitive rock encounters in a no plastic boat. Also I would not use a bulkhead in a glass boat unless not paddled at lower water levels. Katz can speak up, but the long line of foam on the bottom will prevent the glass from flexing when a rock is encountered.
waterbound
c

Post by waterbound »

Wendy,
I'd be paddling mostly Upper Green, FB9, Nolichucky, Nanty, Toe Gorge and Upper Dan @ Kibbler Valley. I won't even ask about Wilson.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I've had my Millbrook on these SE rivers;
Chatooga sec 4 , Little from the Sinks to the Elbow, middle Tellico as low as1.2. Daddy's creek @1.5, Obed, Big South Fork. All these were no problem or caused damage. However did Tremont with bad results though
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

If I took the boat to the Upper Green I would walk Bayless Boof as the risk of injury to the boat would be high. I have a 7 pound Bakraft I paddle the Upper Green so the take out hike is oh so easy.