Question for Blackfly Option Owners

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

waterbound
c

Question for Blackfly Option Owners

Post by waterbound »

Are any of you over the recommended weight? If so, how's it working out? I'm 225 and trying to decide between an Option and Octane.
JimW
C Guru

Re: Question for Blackfly Option Owners

Post by JimW »

I'm usually around 245 at the moment, maybe more (aiming for 220) and it seems to work OK for me. I don't know if it would be faster if I was lighter, but I am able to keep it drier than my Ocoee.

Only real problem I have is that I haven't mastered rolling it yet, but that's down to incompetence not weight!

I do have less freeboard than others - there is a moment here when I break out next to Ralph and you can see my gunwales are a lot lower than his:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kESHzudKXl8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(this is the long rough edit for that river, still not got round to the short action-only edit from the whole week)
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

When my weight was up to 225 I preferred the Option which is very dry and you don't catch the edges on lower water runs.They are both great boats, but the Octane will not be as dry.
keithmasill81
Pain Boater

Post by keithmasill81 »

Looks like I responded in the wrong post:

I'm 230 dry and paddle an Option. Switched from an Octane because it felt too stable and let me paddle sloppily. Been happy with the Option since I got used to it. First few low water trips had me getting tossed when bumping rocks. Now that I've adjusted to the stability I really like it. A little wet at my weight but there is hardly any room for water once I'm in there anyway. Go for Option it is a great boat.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I weighed around 225 when I started paddling an Option, I'm 165 now and it's definitely easier and drier. With boats it's hard to say what the max weight is, there is just a continuum, where the heavier you get the wetter the boat is and harder for the boat to be as nimble as it normally is. I definitely think it's completely paddle-able at that weight.

Vargas also had a similar range in weights if you need a different perspective
Chris Loomis
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

Maybe it depends on what kind of rivers you run. Creeky, low-water rivers, like you might find in the East, for example the Lower Yough, pick the Option. Bigger rivers with a lot of water, choose the Octane 91. I am rather large for a Viper 12 at 235 pounds, paddled the Lower Yough no problem, no bailing at all. Paddling the So. Fork of American, in California, same boat, I'm bailing constantly.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks for the question wb. I'm 225 lbs and wonder the same thing. For the low volume rivers I tend to paddle, I think the Octane's mega-stability platform loses too much connection with the river. I like to be able to tilt my boats a little. I'm coming from an Ocoee and an Outrage.

I hate to be a blame-your-equipment-kinda-guy, but sometimes I think the Ocoee is making things harder compared to friends in L'Edges and Options. I feel a little handicapped on the rare occasions I join people for a class III+ run, and it certainly couldn't be because I'm a worse boater (or shouldn't be 225)! :wink:

On one hand, I don't paddle enough to justify a new purchase. On the other hand, when I'm not paddling much it'd be real nice to have a confidence-inspiring hull to help me along!

Based on the feedback, sounds like the Option can handle 225 OK. If not, the L'Edge seems to.

Pat.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Pat either boat will be just fine for you. I am the same weight on a good day and I pack lots of junk. Just get a Blackfly or L'edge it will change your paddle experience. The Ocoee is wet boat.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

The way I look at buying a new boat is, if I buy a plastic boat and don't like it, I am reasonably confident I can sell it quickly for close to what I paid for it. I'm assuming this is doubly true in the PNW
Chris Loomis
canoeman61
Pain Boater

Post by canoeman61 »

You can't go wrong with either one. I assume you are asking about the Octane 91 vs. the Option. I prefer the Octane and I have both the 91 and the 85, and at 180 the big boat is incredibly dry, but so is the little one. Here is an article I wrote on the 91:

http://www.canoekayak.com/canoe/lets-be ... B45ofZJ.97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The main difference between the Option and Octane is the Octane is a planing hull and the Option is more of a displacement hull. So if you like engaging edges and a super flat bottom, go with the Octane.
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

Amen brother! So well said in your article.-M-
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

I just say that the Octane lets this old fat man have a hades of a lot of fun!-M-
waterbound
c

Post by waterbound »

Canoeman61,
I'd read your article before and had planned on contacting you via BT or GDI but since you posted here, I'll ask.
Why the Octane over the Option, especially at your weight? As for me, I've never paddled a planing hull canoe. I paddled OC's for 20 years and then switched to butt boat in '07 due to some knee issues. As far as them, I switch back and forth from planing to semi planing to displacement and seem to enjoy all three. Thinking old school, the displacement hulls would be more like what I remember, but the planing would be more like what I'm paddling now, only with a higher CG. Am I right? I'd appreciate input from you or anyone else on this. Thanks
Also, I'm less than two hours east of Asheville, NC, so if you know of anywhere to actually demo, I'd appreciate hearing about that also.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Hmm, even though the Octane may have more edges than the Option, it's so wide and stable that I wouldn't describe it as edgy. I'm less concerned about the technical description of the hull, and more interested in which canoe let's me feel the river better. Maybe I should give the Octane a 2nd look, but it just felt like such a tank to me. Fortunately, I may get the opportunity to try them out if Blackfly's tour comes through in August!!

Pat.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

yarnellboat wrote: . . .sounds like the Option can handle 225 OK. If not, the L'Edge seems to. . .
Pat, I went from an Ocoee to a L'Edge to an Option, as you know, (and now back to a L'Edge Lite).

If the loonie ever goes back up, I may yet pick up another Option. But I'm considerably lighter than you.

WCK has some L'Edge Lites in stock.

Jus' sayin!. . .

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !