AB edge breakdown?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

AB edge breakdown?

Post by truckeeboater »

Anyone use the AquaBound Edge as a breakdown paddle? I understand that they will do the cutting and fitting on request, just didn't know if there were folks out there who have one and if they like it or not. also wondering about best place along the shaft to make the splice. your thoughts?
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: AB edge breakdown?

Post by Wendy »

I have the 3 piece and it has been handy for myself and others. If yu get the three piece make sure you check the fit before you are on the river. The piece the goes into the blade often needs sanding and a little lubricant. This just takes a few minutes and you are set for the river.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I have one. Aqua Bound was great about turning the paddle into a breakdown. My dealer ordered it that way and I was able to specify where I wanted the break to be.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

I've heard they're very easy to work with. any particular thoughts about the location of the break and how it effects paddle strength?
Peace Pow and Paddling!
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

No personal experience with the AB breakdown paddle, but thought it worth to point out that you can get a Werner breakdown (2 piece) and most consider it a far superior paddle.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

blue mountain outfitters in Marysville pa, had them in stock last I was
Proud Yankee
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

3 piece makes a lot more sense.
Larry
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I have an AB 3 piece breakdown and it has seen enough use to have significant blade wear. It's for sure a good backup and the price point is right too. No hesitation I'd buy one again.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Werner makes also a 3-piece breakdown now.
The Aquabound breakdown is a great paddle, I used one extensively while paddling in Mexico last winter.
The only problem I have encountered with them is the fact that sometimes the blade does not want to fit together with the shaft easily. The problem is that whilethe shaft is fibergass, which does not absorb water and thus stays dimensionally stable, the blade is Nylon and absorbs water, thus expanding. Nylon can easily expand by 0.5% or more. If this happens, the blade will obiously not fit the shaft any more. In this case, it is crucial not to use force to join the blade and shaft. I had twice AB breakdowns damaged beyond repair by folks borrowing them from me and then not listening t my instructions and trying to force them together :roll: :evil: (needless to say, my spare paddle is not available . What is crucial if the paddle blade has absorbed water and you need to use ot is to take your rier knive and shave plastic off the ridges on the stub on the blade that enters the shaft until you can assemble it without the use of force. When dry, it will obviously have some play then , but this can be eliminated by wrapping the stub with some tape. To minimize the water absorbtion issue oit is imperative to remove the paddle from the boat and its storage bag after every outing and to store it in a dry place to dry out the blade. If you live in a humid environnement, this can be challenging. When I guided in Costa Rica, the blade of my spare paddle never dried out.
The Aquabound 2-piece break down, there the joint is entirely in the shaft as well as the Werner break-downs that are entirely made of fiberglass do not have this problem.
Apart from that issue, the Aquabound breakdown served me well.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I have a 2 piece as well as a 3 piece AB Edge paddles.

The 2 piece paddle joint is basically in the middle to create two equal length pieces.

The 3 piece separates at the shaft and blade as well as in the middle of the shaft piece. See what others have said about the blade to shaft joint being tight, expansion, sanding or shaving, and not forcing the sections together.

These are great paddles for the cost.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

its always the plastic to carbon joint that is the problem, sand and lube it. The other deal is that you should be careful of silty water like on the colorado. It was near impossible to get the paddle apart with sand in the carbon joint as well as the carbon to plastic blade joint.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Forgot to mention, keep it in a dry bag if you can, and tape off the joints with one wrap duct take to keep silt and sand out once you use it.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
keez
C Guru

Post by keez »

Martin; thanks for the info on the AB breakdown. Mine has been happily flopping about in the back of my Spanish Fly for ages. Should check to see if the bits still fit together. Appreciate you lending me your spare paddle in Costa Rica when the blade of mine snapped in half. Should have boofed off of Greg's head instead, bet my paddle would have remained intact lol.
Attachments
Costa Rica3.1.jpg
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

my AB break down all by themselves! NO customer service either.
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

cool, thanks for all the insight. i'm about to pull the trigger on one, but I'm wondering about sizing. Does a 2 pc breakdown typically stay true to size when assembled, or should I order one inch bigger than I usually use?
Peace Pow and Paddling!