Has anyone built a removable electric pump setup?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Has anyone built a removable electric pump setup?

Post by boatbuster »

I would like to create a self-contained pump/battery/switch and drain hose with a 90-degree bend that fits over the gunnel and can be transferred from one OC to another. This way I could avoid drilling holes through hulls and have one system to use in multiple boats. If anyone has tried this, please post some photos. Thanks!
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Has anyone built a removable electric pump setup?

Post by PAC »

Yes. Went low tech / easiest.

Just used a wire to secure the pump to the back of the saddle. Short flexible 1" hose up and over the back left gunnel (I'm a righty) and used Velcro to attach to lacing. Found later that a piece of very thin lacing rope tied to the lacing worked to hold the hose in place over the gunnel. Also used another off of that 1st piece connecting to the end of the hose help keep the hose pointed out of the boat (would think Velcro would work too). It also helped to have large bags that cover the pump / hose assembly too. Placed the battery in front of saddle and used industrial Velcro to hold it down / in place - placing Velcro on the base of the saddle and deck of boat in front of saddle, with Velcro on the side and bottom of the battery.

Set up has survived for many a trip :-) / beat down! :-( Have even forgot to take the battery out of the boat and the Velcro and bag have held it in place for long rides home.

Basically the more you engineer it the more likely it becomes "fixed in place". Just make sure that the system has enough in place to survive a nasty hole or swim.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Einar
CBoats Addict

Post by Einar »

Same as PAC; sort of.
Hose loops over top of bag-gunnel, under webbing.
Battery sits in a glued down minicell notch, held down with elastic bungy cord loop and held in by float bag.
2 pin trailer make & break trailer electrical connections.
Toggle switch mounted in small aluminum channel and "permanently" zap strapped under thwart.

Pump's clip frame was glued to hull. Just happened to have extra frames. Velcro would do it.

All "Good Enough" technology, sort of like Cube satellites.

-The Martian-
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I have generally mounted a Tsunami 1200 pump at the rear of my pedestal/saddle and attached a battery box containing a 3.3 aHr SLA battery to the front of the pedestal/saddle. The battery box contains an on/off switch which comes out a hole at the top of the plastic box (an inexpensive Walmart Outdoor Gear job) and the box also has a wiring harness coming out of it with quick release bullet connectors that allow it to be hooked up to the pump wiring quickly.

I push PVC pipe transversely through the saddle/pedestal at the front and back. The 3/4" PVC pipe at the rear of the saddle has a bungee cord that runs through it. This goes over the top of the pump and holds it squarely against the back of the saddle. If you want, you can glue a small block of minicell to the back of the saddle that fits right over the top of the pump to hold it firmly down against the bottom of the hull.

At the front of the saddle I use a somewhat bigger piece of PVC pipe that will accept a piece of 1" nylon or polypro webbing. This secures the battery box to the front of the saddle using a Fastex quick release buckle (also available cheaply at Walmart) at the front of the box.

The pump tubing simply goes over the gunwale on my off side. I drill a couple of holes through the hull just below the gunwale about as far apart as the bilge pump tubing is wide and run a loop of thin bungee cord through it. The bungee cord is stretched over the end of the tubing both inside and outside the gunwale and holds it reasonably well.
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

Thanks to you all....Great information and ideas.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

it all velcros to the saddle.
Attachments
P1020502.JPG
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
zralok
c

Post by zralok »

http://www.zralok.estranky.cz/fotoalbum ... photo_8212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zralok.estranky.cz/fotoalbum ... photo_9159" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amd-autodily.cz/chladici-sys ... horni.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5 canoe , 1 pump