Just bought my first canoe

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

GosuPaintballer
C Boater

Just bought my first canoe

Post by GosuPaintballer »

So I've been kayaking for 4 years now and have started to loose interest unless I'm running class 4/5 creeks that seem to never run because of lack of rain. I'm not going to quit kayaking, but tried a friend of mines open canoe at the whitewater center a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. It's way different and more difficult than kayaking in my opinion which I liked because it's challenging and has created a whole new adventure for me as far as whitewater goes! After doing some research I decided on a BlackFly Octane 91 and hopefully will get it around the 2nd week of September. Is there any advice or helpful tips any of you would like to share with me when tring to transfer from kayaking to canoeing? Also, how do you figure out what paddle length to buy or do I just need to demo until I figure out what length I like?
Wodza
C Guru

Re: Just bought my first canoe

Post by Wodza »

I highly recommend Tom Foster's Open Canoe technique Video. Teaches you how to carve your way down the river instead of using speed killing correction strokes.

http://whitewatervideo.com/TomFoster.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As well as this video from Madawaska Kanu Center which also focuses on carving. Solo technique starts around 13:30.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Hang around and talk with the canoers in your area. Where do you live?

Welcome to the light. 8)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
GosuPaintballer
C Boater

Post by GosuPaintballer »

KNeal wrote:Hang around and talk with the canoers in your area. Where do you live?

Welcome to the light. 8)
Thanks!
I'm in Shelby, NC and the only person I know that canoes near me and has been my mentor since learning to kayak is Dennis Huntley.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

OCtane91 is CRACK! i got mine a few weeks ago and already need another one. i like that zombie green.
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'