Boating in Costa Rica

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oc ender
C Guru

Boating in Costa Rica

Post by oc ender »

Any recommendations for villages or towns to find a rental in Costa Rica for a month to paddle?

Smaller places near the most class 3/4 rivers accessibility.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Re: Boating in Costa Rica

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

Tried talking to Jim Coffey or Esprit?
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
Einar
CBoats Addict

Turrialba

Post by Einar »

Turrialba is one town, easy to hang out in, about 1 hr from San Jose, has ww trips.
PM on the way.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

What kind of boat are you looking to rent? I am presuming OC1 or C1.
Your options are Turrialba and La Virgen de Sarapiqui.
Depends a bit on what boats you are after. Costa Rica Rios is in Turrialba and has some OC1 and C1s. Mostly older and longer Royalex OC1s, think Outrage, Viper, Probes. I think they also have a few old C1s kicking around. The only short boat recall having seen there is a Zoom.
If you are looking for short plastic OC1s, then Esprit is the place to go. The bulk of the OC1 fleet are L'Edges, but there are also a few Preludes and Spanish Flies, an Octane 9-2, an Option, and an Ion.
There is also a Finkenmeister C1 available.
Both Turrielaba and La virgen ae not too far from some great class 3-4 runs. Turrialba is a smaller city, La virgen more of a rural town.
http://www.riversandrainforest.com/#!about1/c10c9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'd call Esprit, but I'm biassed; My father and I had a great trip with them, and they are a long time sponsor of this site.
Keep the C!
Adam
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I have a bias towards Esprit as well, been working there for several years and that's who I recommend, obviously. But in all fairness Costa rica rios is a great outfit, too, with great guides, several former Esprit staff worked there.
It boils down to boat preference IMHO. if you want old school boats, call costa rica rios. If you want the current designs however, give Jim at Esprit a call.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

Sorry for confusion.The rental I'm referring to is acommodation rental,

I'm not likely to go with an outfitter for a month of boating.Id likely take my own boat,possibly my c1,depending on transportation costs I'd take my Option.However,if it's cost prohibitive then a rental would be an option.

Mainly looking for a good small,rural town to base from close to some good boating . I've never been to CR but I can only assume there's plenty of independent boaters down there to paddle with.

Appreciate the info and advice.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

No confusion on my part at least - they are well hooked in to the community down there, and if they can't rent you one for a month (they may be able to...) then they can put you in touch with others who might be able to do so.
Keep the C!
Adam