Moving from MN to VA?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

lung
C Guru

Moving from MN to VA?

Post by lung »

Moving from Minneapolis MN to Richmond VA this weekend with my wife. Taking 70E/35E/64E through the Appalachian Mountains. Will be our first time being anywhere around there. Taking 7 days to make the trip, so we have some time to look around. Would love some suggestions for places to go along the way (rivers/creeks/campsights/hikes/restaurants/bars/museums/anything) if anyone is willing. Would also love to run some class 3-4 rivers with some other cboaters if anyone is around.
Last edited by lung on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Re: Moving from MN to VA?

Post by Big Al »

Upper Yough release 10am-4pm and race on Saturday. Parades n partying in Friendsville, MD.
keithmasill81
Pain Boater

Post by keithmasill81 »

The Mighty Cheat in Albright, WV is a good bet. If you go to Teeter's Campground on a weekend you should be able to find some boaters. I will be up that way this weekend but running the Narrows (2-3) section. New River Gorge is also always running and a good place to find people.

Little Falls on the Potomac is a good rest stop but not worth a major detour. You can run it from Lock 6 and self shuttle by using the adjacent canal to paddle back up.

You should post on Paddle Prattle (http://www.monocacyboard.org/mboard/mboard.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and or Coastals (http://www.coastals.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to broaden your search if you do not find anyone on here.

Welcome to VA!
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

All of the above require moving further east on East on I70 into the PA / MD area (aka: Morgantown, WV -ish). There is also the Lower Yough (Ohiopyle, PA) that is always running, is Class III, and relatively easy to get shuttles set. Down side is its a PA State Park with fees and related SP regulations.

Again the Cheat is awesome - narrows is an easy shuttle, Canyon is a bit more of an issue (much more so) and UY has releases this Sat, and on Fridays and Mondays (Shuttle relatively easy and you can find someone willing to guide you down).

Good luck and enjoy the trip!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
OC1_PDLR
c

Post by OC1_PDLR »

Check out the Goshen Pass section of the Maury just outside Lexington VA:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... l/id/1966/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It won't be running unless we get a lot of surprise rainfall, but its very close to I-64 and a pretty little side jaunt as much of the run is roadside. One of the prettiest places in VA IMO.

Welcome to VA.
lung
C Guru

Post by lung »

Thanks for all the suggestions! Guess we aren't leaving until Sunday though, so we're going to miss any weekend opportunities, or Monday releases. Anything running later in the week? My wife is more interested in scenic hikes/drives/camping and the beach. Planning on driving to the Atlantic coast and then back to Richmond. Any other route suggestions?
icyone
C Guru

Post by icyone »

Is this a permanenwt move to Richmond?

Check out the Coastals:

http://www.coastals.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great club with great OC-1 tradition, more K-ers now but still a really great club. They can answer any paddling Q's. Plent of reat paddling in the area.
C-1's are the Gods of the River
lung
C Guru

Post by lung »

Permanent for now. Applying to a few grad schools this January. Would like to go to VCU, but I'll have to weigh out my options if I have any. Will be in Richmond for at least a year. Really looking forward to exploring some of the rivers around here! Had a great road trip, but I didn't paddle much. Only ran the Fayette Station rapid at the end of the New. Hoping to get back there soon to run the rest. Will definitely post on the suggested paddling forums to try to find some people to paddle with. Thanks for the suggestions!
oldschoolpiton
C Boater

Post by oldschoolpiton »

the lower james in richmond will become a staple for you for sure, might as well include that. it short class III-IV depending on water level but easy shuttle and tons of people to boat with.
space-katet
C Boater

Post by space-katet »

64E non paddling highlights: Greenbrier rail-trail in WV, Pipestem Resort State Park in WV, Shenandoah National Park in VA, a stretch of Skyline Drive or the Blue Ridge Parkway.

For hikes, try http://www.midatlantichikes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

If you come in along I 70, the Lower Yough is great. Fallingwater (Frank Lloyd Wright house) is there, plus a rail trail for your wife, and she could do the Loop section of the river if she just want a little bit of whitewater.

Have fun! I live in Blacksburg- welcome to Virginia!

Katie