Anyone ever chop the ends off a Gyromax?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

canoeman61
Pain Boater

Anyone ever chop the ends off a Gyromax?

Post by canoeman61 »

I wound up with this boat and was thinking it needs about 2 feet cut off both ends. Right now it is like a telephone pole with a cockpit! I anyone has figured out a way to cut off those pointy ends and close them up, let me know.
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Re: Anyone ever chop the ends off a Gyromax?

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I'm sure someone has tried, but the material that the gyromax is made of is very brittle and as far as I know un-weldable. Other boats of its generation have been made into mail boxes.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I chopped and welded a Slasher - the shape was more conducive to the project (flatter j, similar generation of material, welded fine.

The Gyra-pigs tubular form could be tough to work with...
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

Probably better off to start with something else that's already 2 feet shorter, with less pointy ends. Then go find a good ender spot and enjoy the Gyramax for what it is.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Gyramax material wouldn't have been brittle from new, but 30+ years of UV exposure will have destroyed the plasticiser so it will probably be brittle now.

I remember some lads chopped the ends off a dancer (whilst it was much younger and still flexible), they just squashed the ends together flat and bolted them with some bathroom sealant in between. It was only ever used in a pool AFAIK. I assume they used a propane torch to head the ends before flattening them, but I don't know - that's how I used to modify PE boats ;)
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

JimW wrote: I remember some lads chopped the ends off a dancer (whilst it was much younger and still flexible), they just squashed the ends together flat and bolted them with some bathroom sealant in between. It was only ever used in a pool AFAIK. I assume they used a propane torch to head the ends before flattening them, but I don't know - that's how I used to modify PE boats ;)
:lol: I did just that with a Dancer XS once. Pretty fun to paddle. Leaked a lot, but at a certain point it would do nice controlled mystery moves, at least until it just sank...