Installing foot braces - any helpful advice?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Big Al
CBoats Addict

Installing foot braces - any helpful advice?

Post by Big Al »

First time for me installing foot braces in foam bulkhead. Any do's and/or don't's?

Gracias!
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Re: Installing foot braces - any helpful advice?

Post by pblanc »

Are you mounting Yakima style adjustable foot braces?

If so, you could buy this kit from Mohawk if you are so inclined:

http://mohawkcanoes.com/products/rods-foot-braces/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The tapped aluminum tubes are nice because they allow you to secure the foot brace rails using stainless steel machine screws, the heads of which will fit down inside the notched rails of the foot braces.

Being a cheapskate, I usually buy threaded stainless steel rod from the local hardware store. The mounting holes in the Yakima rails are usually tapped and I have been able to find rod with the proper thread to fit. You can secure the rail on one side by threading the rod through and then peening the end of the rods with a ball-peen hammer so that they won't unscrew from the rails. The other end I secure with stainless steel locknuts and washers. The problem is the nuts will not fit down inside the notched rails unless you hacksaw off the last notch or two. I usually find a nylon cylindrical spacer that will slip down over the threaded rod between the notched rails and put the washer and nut over that.

If you just push the threaded nylon rod through the minicell foam it is narrow enough diameter that it will cut through the foam over time and the whole rail will move backwards from the force of your feet pressing. I get around that by using some narrow diameter PVC pipe. The end of the PVC pipe can be beveled with a file and then simply pushed through the saddle. The threaded rod then goes through the pipe. The PVC pipe is large enough diameter that it won't cut through.

Routing a channel in the foam just deep enough for the rails to fit in, but not so deep as to interfere with the foot pads, also helps keep the rail in place.

And don't give me any crap about peening the ends of the rods.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

Yes, I have the kit. Is there an ideal height to mount the braces?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Yep! Make sure you take into account some mini cell on the floor under them then raise pegs about 1.5" above that so I can get my toes under them.

Its all about me Al! :-) Besides you know I'll be in that thing at some point of its life! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Mounting the rails so that the very bottom of the foot pad is 1.5-2" above the bottom of the foam pedestal is common. Depends on whether you like to point your feet so that your toes stick underneath the pad or not.

Be aware of one possible pitfall: the bottom of some hulls are so concave that it might seem that there is plenty of clearance judging by the distance between the bottom of the pedestal and the foot pad. But if the hull bottom curves up very sharply, the end of the foot pad, which sticks out several inches from the side of the pedestal, could actually scrape the hull bottom, or wind up lower than you would like.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Al, my standard for building saddles is 1" of clearance between the hull and the bottom of the foot pad. I do offer customization on this though, as some folks want less, and some folks want more clearance.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

You don't, that's how :lol: !

Seriously though, just put in thigh straps. way less strain on ankles and knees and a way more secure fit to boot.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau