Help! Probe 11 question - how will it paddle for me?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sday207
c

Help! Probe 11 question - how will it paddle for me?

Post by sday207 »

Hi all,

I'm in need of a boat, as I'm borrowing an Impulse right now and it is a) borrowed, and b) I have outgrown it, paddling ability wise. I'm looking for a shorter boat, and a Probe 11 has come along for a seemingly good price, but I'm wondering if I'm too big for it. The asking price is 500, including airbags and factory outfitting, but I might have to offer a bit less due to financial constraints.

So, how will a Probe 11 perform with a 6 foot 185lb driver? At most, I'm class III/IV paddler and live in Maine. I'm don't paddle anything really steep, but am looking to paddling quite a bit of tight, twisty, fairly technical IIIs and IVs. Maybe I'll try'n take it down some bigger water (I'm sure I will...), like the Kennebec Gorge and Dead, but I have access to longer boats for that purpose.

The faster your response, the better.. Might be looking to pick it up tomorrow morning!

Hope you're all doing well and getting out on the water!

Cheers,
Sam
Last edited by sday207 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Help! Probe 11 question - how will it paddle for me?

Post by PAC »

At 5'9" 185 I found the Probe 11 to be a good solid boat. If the price is good - buy! You can always resell. Folks are always interested in that model. It doesn't really do anything great unless your a paddling god but it does do everything really well IMHO. the newer model PEs that are short and more responsive but coming from what your paddling it will be a fun runner.
It also helps to know what waters your paddling... class-wise, big, creeky, etc. Generally not knowing those details. I'd still say its a good one. My $.01
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
sday207
c

Post by sday207 »

Thanks for the response PAC! I edited the original post to reflect your suggestions. :)

A newer, shorter PE boat is way out of my price range, unless I bought (unreasonaby) well used.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I'd say buy it. I know several people your size who paddle Viper 11s which are relatively similar, but a little edgier, and they're the perfect size for their boats. If it's in good condition, I don't think you can go wrong here. It will be way better than an Impulse.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Sam, I have a Viper 11 and have paddled it a fair bit on moderately technical stuff like the Tellico. I also owned an Impulse in prior years. The Probes are somewhat less edgy versions of the Vipers.

I agree with Paul. The Probe 11 is really an 11' 8" boat so it is closer to a 12' canoe than an 11'. The Viper 11 has plenty of volume and the Probe should be similar. Although, sadly, I weigh more now, most of the paddling I have done in my Viper 11 was around your weight. I am about an inch shorter.

When I first saw the Mohawk factory outfitting I was dubious, but I actually got used to it fairly quickly and came to like it pretty well. Mine has the belt with the double strap. It is somewhat like a bulkhead in that it is somewhat quicker to enter than a boat outfitted with straps.

Personally, I find the Viper 11 somewhat more "nimble" than an Ocoee, although others feel differently. The biggest drawback of the Vipers and Probes in my opinion is that because the sheerline is fairly low at the ends with much less rise in the stems than an Ocoee, say, the boats can be somewhat wet, especially when surfing steeper waves.
Einar
CBoats Addict

A consensus !

Post by Einar »

all I can say is... I agree.

At 205lb and 5'6" I had went from Impulse- Probe 12- Viper 11 and eventually- Occoee.

Moved out of the Impulse quickly.
Probe was next, stable, stood up to my intermediate skill learning, could have pushed it further.
Viper 11 next, beat me up for a long time, till I mastered a "defensive style" to keep it dry and learned to use the chines.
Occoee- za good deal bought late on the learning curve but enjoying the dry entry, pushing into holes that ate the V11.

For me I'd say, at that price, buy it, drive it hard, see where you end up.
Mohawk is a good product, takes a beating. Gonna miss them, but maybe not?
e
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
col. mustard
C Boater

Post by col. mustard »

I'm 230, 6'2", paddled the probe 11 for 2 years and it did everything I needed it to do, rolled nicely for me. An easy boat to advance your skills. 500 is a fair deal. If you don't take it for 500 someone else will.
col. mustard
C Boater

Post by col. mustard »

Forgot to mention, it is a super wet boat. Installing the 58 inch bags and a pump will help.