making a c1 pirouette?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oldschoolpiton
C Boater

making a c1 pirouette?

Post by oldschoolpiton »

any opinions on it? anybody ever done it? I could see how it could be a little unstable but it's fast and tracks and boofs really well too. my biggest worry would be how to get all the plastic outfitting out...
has anybody ever done this? would it just be a wasted of a good kayak?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: making a c1 pirouette?

Post by sbroam »

I don't think I ever saw one. Might have seen a Super Sport, but that would have been even less stable. You might be contemplating the "great overlooked boat" or maybe it wasn't a popular c-1 for a reason?
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I think its too narrow for comfortable or stable C1ing.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

It's been done before (long ago) and was not a good choice. The narrow, roundish hull made balancing very dicey.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

I converted a Super Sport one time. It was "usable", but not what I would call a good conversion- very narrow. It got converted back pretty quickly in favor of something better.
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

Had a piroutte as a c-1 for a couple years. Paddled Upper Gauley in it several times. So yes primary stability tippy, secondary very good. Fast and maneuverable. I would not make it my go to but for easier water it is fun, great at attainments and listen if you paddle it for awhile you will get good really fast because of its weaknesses. I would not invest a lot of money in it because it does not make a great c-1 but paddle :o it for a season and you will get much better at c-1. Than when you decide to upgrade to a more suited boat you will be well rewarded. It's not the Arrow it's the Indian!
oldschoolpiton
C Boater

Post by oldschoolpiton »

any helpful tips for taking the seat out or how you set it up as a c1?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Lots of pictures on this site of conversion set ups - some in the gallery in my signature below. As for getting the seat out, do it on a hot day when the plastic is warm and flexible, take out all the screws, and be prepared to wrestle with it. I usually end up with the boat standing on one end or the other banging the seat one way or the other till I can pull and twist it out.
oldschoolpiton
C Boater

Post by oldschoolpiton »

dang so you literally take the whole thing out
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Yep, you want your legs to be able to go down on the deck (oops, meant hull obviously) where the seat was so it needs to come right out. If you use straps, the seat bolts make convenient mounting points.
Last edited by JimW on Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

Old perception seats are a bugger to get out. The seat bolts thread into brass plates inside the seat. Remove those screws, then see if you can slide the seat enough to get the walls out of the ends of the seat. After that you can twist the seat around and pop it out of the boat.
oldschoolpiton
C Boater

Post by oldschoolpiton »

If you use straps, the seat bolts make convenient mounting points.
I wish I knew where to get the foam and what to do with it to make a bulkhead/foam fitted setup with no straps, however I have still never converted a kayak to a cboat. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on foam when I already have webbing and buckles.