Kelly-Rand's Storm Chaser

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TommyC1
C Guru

Kelly-Rand's Storm Chaser

Post by TommyC1 »

Just a couple of pics from last Sunday on the Winnipesauki in Franklin NH. It's a good looking boat.
P6070114.jpg
P6070115.jpg
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Re: Kelly-Rand's Storm Chaser

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I'd have to agree, but I have an interest in it.

I still need to get my knees locked down to the deck. I'm thinking of doing a three point strap anchor. Have any of the other owners made strap modifications? I really do not want to do a bulkhead as that would limit what I could stuff up in the hull.
The Winni run had its abbrasive moments but the boat came out with minor scratches.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
River Elf C1s
Pain Boater

Post by River Elf C1s »

Hey Jim,
Yes some of our customers have added an extra set of straps just across the top of the knee-cups to keep the end of their knees down vs. doing a bulkhead (or similar). I wonder if moving the anchor locations up would be sufficient (for a single strap system) as I know the original anchors were probably not ideal for your height. However, the original locations with additional end straps will likely do the trick. Let me know if you need any additional anchors as you tweak the outfitting and I'll send along.

Nice to see the pics - thanks for posting Tommy!
Chris
River Elf
http://www.riverelf.com
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I installed new bottom anchor points 4" or so forward of the originals this weekend. At a local pond I tried these out and from a knee connection stand point they are much better but for rolling I'm still not tight to the boat when upside down. The reason is that with the forward anchor point the strap crosses the top of my thigh further down in relation to the high anchor point which results in the looseness in fit. I'm thinking that if I just put another set of the anchors an inch or two below the high anchors I will be set.

Chris, thanks for the anchors and epoxy. I'll let you know if my conclusion above works. It will be a week before I get to it though.
Jim KR

a C-1 I will stand"
jfkoeppe
C Boater

Post by jfkoeppe »

I also have a River Elf Storm Chaser - size L. I had the same problem - I would come loose when I tried to roll and wouldn't get a good hip snap since I couldn't stay tight in the boat. A bit of this was - I'm sure - due to operator error, but I couldn't stay tight enough to make a second attempt at a roll.

My solution was to add a 2nd set of straps, using the same anchors for inside the thighs, but adding a 2nd anchor point on the outside. This second anchor point was forward of the River Elf installed straps and lower down. (The original outside anchor was almost as high as the seam.) My second set of straps still angle slightly back so that the straps don't tend to slide forward as one paddles. At the end of my last river trip I did a couple of practice rolls and felt like I was held in the boat much better. I was able to get a good hip snap and roll quite easily. Bottom line, the 2nd set of straps helped a lot.

I agree with the downsides of a bulkhead - ie can't easily put things in front of a bulkhead and at least in my opinion - the bulkhead would add a good bit more weight than one more anchor and an additional set of straps.

Hope this may help others. I could add a picture of how the straps are situated if that would be helpful.
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

jfkoeppe

That is exactly what I had originally planned to do, but wanted to try a single strap solution first.

Jim
Jim KR

a C-1 I will stand"
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Here are some images of the thigh strap modifications i've made and tested with success today after some adjustments.
Low Anchor
Low Anchor
The bottom anchor is approximately 5" C to C forward of the original this turned out to be too far forward.
Top Anchor
Top Anchor
I glassed in the high anchor 3 inches below the original and this worked fine.
Strapped in
Strapped in
I had to join the bottom anchors together and loop the thigh strap between.

So to recap, the original anchor layout did not hold my knees down. With the forward placement of the bottom anchors without moving the top I would still be loose upside down. I lowered the top anchor point as shown and I was tight in the boat for the first roll attempt but then I would work loose, so I joined the bottom anchors and that worked to hold me in.
I'm 6'-4" with 36" inseam measured to my heel.
Jim KR

a C-1 I will stand"
River Elf C1s
Pain Boater

Post by River Elf C1s »

Looks good Jim - glad you've gotten things adjusted and sounds like the single strap system is going to work for you - though I'm sure you'll want to test it out in whitewater.

Just for other Storm Chaser owners/future owners, since the cockpit rim doesn't contact your thighs like in a slalom or other low volume boat, it's helpful to approach outfitting a SC similar to how you might outfit an open boat - focusing on keeping the knees down (whether through extra strapping or using a bulkhead).

Thanks for posting the pics of the anchor placements etc - good info here...
Chris
River Elf
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Chris,

I am praying for a week of rain storms so I can get out and enjoy this boat. I would like to add an item to your suggestion box, and that would be an adjustable glass bulkhead. I'm thinking of something that would be the inverse of a kneeling thwart. It would be padded like the hip blocks and hang from the deck on glassed in bungy. The user would cut and glue pvc pipe spacers to the length needed to fit. I'll send a sketch but I think some form of this approach would be a great option. The great appeal of the Storm Chaser is how light it is, and I think your objective should be to provide options that contribute to that appeal.
Jim KR

a C-1 I will stand"
River Elf C1s
Pain Boater

Post by River Elf C1s »

Jim,
We've been thinking of developing something similar - something like a thwart (or multi curved piece contoured to your legs) that would glass into each side of the boat near the seam and installed up near the deck. You could then add foam below the "thwart" to create a custom fitting bulkhead. The idea being: creating a "false deck" that would reduce the amount of foam needed for a bulkhead and hopefully allow access to the front of the boat for storage.

That's an interesting idea using bungees and rigid spacers to make it adjustable. You might also need to combine that with some adjustable mounting screws (and carbon mounts) to be sure it is secured into place. I think I understand your concept but feel free to shoot me an email - we'll give that some thought. I think there is a need and it could also be used for other C-1's. Most bulkheads require a lot of foam which can quickly translate to multiple pounds of weight when wet.
Chris
River Elf
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Since I revised the strap anchor point I still could not stay put beyond the first roll attempt. I've only had the boat on challenging water twice since I made the strap modifications. In August I did the LY loop and rolled in the last rapid above Railroad and it was successful but I was almost out of the boat. I have just installed heel blocks and i am going to test them out tomorrow. The ground test felt reel good. I'll post some pictures later.
My shins are almost flat on the hull so toe blocks would be useless, the heel setup in the Storm Chaser still allows me to slide to the side if I have to bail, but gives me a lot of leverage when I rotate to the side like I'm going to roll.
Jim KR

a C-1 I will stand"
Gwyn
Pain Boater

Post by Gwyn »

We use a rigid glassed-in bulkhead in some of our boats that have a high cockpit rim. It seems to work well, and gives the boat a lot of rigidity without much increase in weight. They can be made using a couple of layers of rigid-foam insulation covered with 2-3 layers of glass and epoxy (polyester resin will dissolve the foam!), as in the photo;
Attachments
Lizard_Pagan_1.jpg
Gwyn
http://www.petawawaraftteam.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mohakarafting.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.shaggydesigns.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Nice setup Gwyn. A friend did a similar bulkhead in an Atom. I think today I have found the setup that works for me. The heel blocks made the difference in keeping me in place.
Jim KR

a C-1 I will stand"
River Elf C1s
Pain Boater

Post by River Elf C1s »

Hi Jim, I've been wondering how the boat was treating you this summer. I'm glad that you seem to have finally found the right combination of things to keep you locked into the boat. We've recently added double straps to our blue demo boat to solve this issue for our demo customers. In addition, we have developed a new "storm chaser outfitting guide" intended to help folks select the parts they may want with their boat but also to give them some of the info/feedback that you and other customers have kindly made available here. I appreciate all that you have posted and shared.

here's a link to the new outfitting guide (pages 8-12 give some info on securing the knees) - nothing that hasn't already been discussed here but just wanted to share as it will be useful for future customers:

http://www.riverelf.com/StormChaserC1Ou ... nGuide.pdf

special thanks to Rick Bryan for supplying several of the images! Thanks Rick!

We still have intention to develop a lightweight composite bulkhead piece and have plans to tackle it this winter.

Gwyn, I like the rigid foam/composite bulkhead thats a nice idea! Thanks for sharing that!

Jim, I hate that maybe you have missed some paddling this summer because of the outfitting not being just right. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any more trouble - I want to be sure you get the most of your boat as soon as the snow starts melting next spring. Looks like you may have some water up there in the next fews days and get an opportunity to really test out your new setup.

Chris
Chris
River Elf
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Chris,

Yesterday I had a great day paddling a local favorite, the Contoocook in NH. With the heel blocks and the sense that I had a good chance at rolling up in the surf, I paddled more aggressively went for those harder to grab eddies. So yes I think I've finally achieved a comfort level in the boat. I'll share some pictures once I have tweeked the heel blocks.
My recommendation for thigh strap outfitting for those that like the option to slide back and out to exit is to install the heel blocks. Especially if you sit at a 7" or taller saddle and modify the strap anchor points as I show in the prior photos. The double strap system will hold you in place if you use the stock hull and center points, but that setup is too far back to slide out in a panic exit.

Oh, I just reviewed your site after first posting this and I should say there is no stock outfitting layout. I bought the outfitted demo. I like the knee wedge shown in the outfitting page.

I've had a couple open boaters try the Storm Chaser out and both were impressed with the stability, speed and finish.
Jim KR

a C-1 I will stand"