An Option for Prelude paddlers

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Re: An Option for Prelude paddlers

Post by chuck naill »

I have a "new design" Big Octane (tandem) on order. My interest was to be able to paddle with family members on rivers they are not ready to paddle alone. And besides, I've always liked the team approach that tandem boating allows.

The selling points for the BF were not necessarily the design, but the availability of a safe, durable platform for tandem use in which we could paddle for years of mostly class 3 and 4 rivers. I had my days of running water falls and flood stage streams. My focus is now on my adult children's family and soon to be 9 grand children. I want them to have fun and exciting experiences on rivers like Clear Creek on the Obed system here in East Tennessee. There is simply no reasonable way to explore these areas besides running the river.

I trust that when I can no longer paddle, the BF will continue to pay dividends.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

As a long time Prelude paddler of a third hand "beat to death" Prelude my next OC will be the Option. Mostly because it does what I want a OC to do... track, turn, boof and play! :-) I've demo'ed multiple generations of it on the IIs to IV +/- and was never left lacking or wanting. My $.01.

Bottom line is to demo a lot of boat prior to buying. And remember to support your local (and non-local) canoe companies!!!!

Note: Its just a darn shame the L'Edge and Prelude are now MIA as well as the Probe, Viper, XL and Max series. :-( Hopefully we'll see more Big Dogs in the area to try out.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

PAC wrote: . . . remember to support your local (and non-local) canoe companies!!!! . . . Its just a darn shame the L'Edge and Prelude are now MIA as well as the Probe, Viper . . .
On those notes, it's worth reminding y'all that some of the tried and true hulls (Viper 11s & 12s. . .) are still available, in composite, from Western Canoeing and Kayaking. In fact, they've been dusting off their moulds since the demise of Rx.
http://www.westerncanoekayak.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !