C1 in Flagstaff?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

aargh
C Guru

C1 in Flagstaff?

Post by aargh »

Hey mates, I'm paddling the Grand Canyon in June (June 29 launch) but I have no way to get my boat out there from Virginia.

Wondering if any boaters in the Flagstaff area might be willing to loan or rent a C1, or even sell cheap. My preference would be Atom or Cascade.

I promise to take good care of it!

This all assumes I can get my knee straightened out, otherwise I'll be paddling a kayak from the outfitter. Semi-bummer! (it's still a trip down the Canyon)

Thanks mateys,

Aargh!
JimW
C Guru

Re: C1 in Flagstaff?

Post by JimW »

I don't know of any C1s in Flagstaff, but I was looking for an OC1 not a C1 so may have missed something.

It took me a while to find, but Moenkopi Riverworks have a Whitesell Piranha OC1 for rent, it's not in the best shape ever but it looked after me pretty good in May 2013. For anyone that comes across this thread looking for an OC1 in the future and goes for this boat, I would recommend you take some vinyl adhesive or epoxy in case any more of the achors peel off - 2 came off on me and had sand behind from substandard on-river repairs in the past, I just hope I did better job cleaning up and gluing them back on!

Might be worthwhile to phone/email all the outfitters you can in case one of them has a C1 but doesn't bother to advertise it, seems like a long shot though.

Have you seen Dave E's thread about making a C1 conversion setup he could fly with to fit to a rental kayak? Looking at the video of his trip to Mexico using the rig it seems to have worked out pretty well!

I'm sure you will have a great time whether you manage to find a C1, or have to take a kayak, or even if your knee doesn't sort itself out and you end up in a raft the whole way, I've enjoyed my previous 3 trips so much (2 kayak, 1 OC1) that I'm booked to go again next year, but now have a real dilemma about what boat to take! :)
smac
c

Post by smac »

I don't think they have that Pirana anymore. We were outfitted by Moenkopi and they say
someone wrecked it. So I bought a well used Descender and put a 1200gph bilge pump and
Mohawk saddle and it worked fine. No swims but several portages. I put it together just for
the GC, which we just finished. It is for sale in Denver as I have no extra room for it.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

I can't say I'm entirely surprised, the boat had seen better days and I've since learned that some of the creases indicate it must have been folded at some time (how can you do that on the GC?)
kbronson

Post by kbronson »

I have a Perception Slasher C-1 in Phoenix you can borrow to paddle the Grand Canyon in late June