c1 cayman slalom repair

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oldschoolpiton
C Boater

c1 cayman slalom repair

Post by oldschoolpiton »

Hi all, so I have this cayman c1 that's pretty old. i love paddling it. originally a 4m boat, this one at some point was cut to 3.5m. on the stern end it is cracked and starting to separate. i have twarine cloth, seam tape, and 105/205 epoxy to repair it with. my big question i'm looking to get answered is on the approach strategy to actually completing this repair. i want to do it well. my basic thought process is to sand down the cracked edges to get all the broken material out of there, then fill it in with epoxy. after that put a layer of seam tape over it. after that i was thinking to give it a protective wrap around most of the stern end and then plastic wrap it while it cures. i've never done a repair before so i feel as though i could be wrong on some of this strategy so if anyone could shed some light on a better way to go about it that would be great. i do want to use the materials i have but other than that i'm open to different strategies. here it is:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/kq2cmfw5c6ny ... r7En8JG1wa
ezwater
C Maven

Re: c1 cayman slalom repair

Post by ezwater »

You might consider calling sweetcomposites.com for advice on materials and method. The seam line back on the tail is rather convex, and you might need tape or cloth which is cut "on the bias" so that it will conform more easily to the convexity. "On the bias" means that the fibers run at 45 degrees to the line of the seam. Sweetcomposites has bias cut seam tape and can sell it in relatively small quantities.

Your Twaron cloth is a kind of Kevlar. Possibly the repair will be easier, even prettier, if done mostly with glass.
oldschoolpiton
C Boater

Re: c1 cayman slalom repair

Post by oldschoolpiton »

i actually ordered all the stuff from sweet composites and what i mentioned above was what Jennifer there recommended. I was told glass wasn't as strong, and that the twaron was the way to go for durability. the thing is fairly ugly anyways lol. I believe i got the kind of seam tape you just mentioned as well. Part of the reason I got the material I did was because I'm doubling the cloth for this project and a set of skid plates on my vertige x. thanks for the input!